Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I Love You"......

Options
  • 28-07-2005 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

Quick question, my girlfriend the other day turned around & told me "she loved me".... didn't know how to respond. I know she wasn't looking for me to say it back, cos she was just letting me know how she felt about me... but I felt a bit of a twat not knowing what to say so instead I got down to business with her .....

question is really - what DO you say when a person says "i love you".... obviously you don't go "cheers/thanks/insert appreciative comment here".... & obviously 9/10 times they're not looking for you to say it back the first time you say it......

mind boggling...... answers preferably not on a postcard :D

::: ven0mous :::

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i don't understand why you didnt say "I love you" back. Is it because you don't love her? Then why are you with her then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

well do you love her?
    are you falling in love with her?
    i would go with telling her how you feel about her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

That's a really difficult question... there's enormous pressure to say it back and I think credit is due for not saying it "for the sake of saying it".

It's hard to know what the right answer is... something along the lines of "thanks I think you're really special too" or something like that without actually saying the L word is probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I really REALLY like being with her, & honestly can see a future with her & I didn't wanna say it back for the sake of saying it. It's three words people fling around without care & without meaning so bloody often & damnit, saying "I love you" to someone should mean something not just as a stop-gap set of words or as a quick & easy means into someone's bed......

Besides - she knows how much I like beign with her, having her around & even soing small stupid simple things with her.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What's the big deal? If you love her just tell her that you love her. If you don't, well then congrats on the deceit and if you don't know just make a joke.

"I Love You"

"Well, I Love Me Too!!"

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

ven0m wrote:
    Besides - she knows how much I like being with her, having her around & even soing small stupid simple things with her.....

Do you tell her that much at least? Don't just presume she knows. And ok you really really like her, but do you love her? Cause if you do you're not just saying it for the sake of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Personally I think those words are over used.
    You can have really intense feelings or really care about some one but
    that does not mean you are in love with them
    There are many other better and more personal ways to let some one know
    how you feel about them the those 3 words tbh.

Do tell her that seeing her , being with her makes your heart glad your day
    so much brighter and all the little ways she effects you and means to you.
    That is a much better declaration of how, and what you are feeling ,
    then those trite three words.

'I Love .........Lamp'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

do you see yourself falling in love with her?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Thaed wrote:

'I Love .........Lamp'

and here's me thinking you were devoid of humour... now do you really love lamp or are you just saying that??

I also agree about the bandying aroundness of those three words, have a think on it and if you do love her, tell her if not, don't go ' well i don't love you yet but i am really fond of you and you never know'

or you could sing her afternoon delight... Thaed has the lyrics i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i think popular media has caused a lot of guys to have difficulty saying "i love you".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hey, you "got down to business with her ....."
    That should tell her how you feel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ven0m wrote:
    I really REALLY like being with her, & honestly can see a future with her & I didn't wanna say it back for the sake of saying it. It's three words people fling around without care & without meaning so bloody often & damnit, saying "I love you" to someone should mean something not just as a stop-gap set of words or as a quick & easy means into someone's bed......

Dude, congratulations. You didn't lie, which would have been the easy way out. If you don't love her you don't love her and shouldn't say you do. If you do and don't mean it, you'll dig yourself in a hole, I've been there.

I was in the same situation a few months ago. i didn't reciprocate what she said. She was upset but in the long run it was fine and she respected the honesty. (we broke up shortly afterwards but still get on fine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Hey, you "got down to business with her ....."
    That should tell her how you feel ;)

I think it means he feels like he likes getting down to business....!!!
    My now husband told me he loved me for the first time, not when we were in bed, but when we were eating a plate of pasta!!! Out of the blue and totally unexpected. I took it VERY seriously, seemed more like he meant it than if he had said it just as he was cu**ing....
    You have to choose your moment, a bit too easy to say those three words in the throes of passion.

Do you tell her that much at least? Don't just presume she knows. And ok you really really like her, but do you love her? Cause if you do you're not just saying it for the sake of it...

Already done that......

Thaed wrote:
    Do tell her that seeing her , being with her makes your heart glad your day
    so much brighter and all the little ways she effects you and means to you.
    That is a much better declaration of how, and what you are feeling ,
    then those trite three words.

done that too.....
    deargona wrote:
    You have to choose your moment, a bit too easy to say those three words in the throes of passion.

Too damn right - but she said it while we were chilling out on the couch late one evening stone cold sober...... my "way of handling it" & cos I didn't know what to say was to continue kissing her & eventually get some 'hanky panky' underway - LOL :D
    wrote:
    shelbydo you see yourself falling in love with her?

I could quite easily.... only been in love with one person ONCE before..... only time I ever said it to a woman & only time I woulda meant it..... don't get me wrong, when my current g/f is not around for a while cos of trips back home to the UK or whatever it sucks [in advance of ppl answering - yes, I do tell her these things!!!!]....

still doesn't answer as to what you say when someone says "I love you"..... c'mon ladies, help a guy out here!!!!!!!! Gimme some insight here!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

The words "I Love You" have a huge significance to them. Sometimes it is taken as being 'forever', a proclamation almost akin to "I want you to marry me", it can also be taken as meaning that the person you said it to is loved above others, or in a way that is more significant than others.

How do you tell someone that you "love them" now, in thesense that you enjoy being with them, that you consider a long-term with them, that it isn't necessarily exclusive and permanent, though nonetheless special and important, and worth saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i love you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

i love you all.

Aww, why have you gone and said that? Now you have everybody all embarrassed not knowing how to or whether to reciprocate your outpouring of luurve... :o

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Sheesh-

what I cant understand is why everyone assumes that the correct answer is "I love you too". FFS each to their own. Ven0m was quite correct in saying nothing if he didnt feel a gazillion percent comfortable in stating that he loved her. His actions probably show it, but just as "I'd rather not talk about it right now" from a *woman translates to "I want to bend your ear for three hours" men more often than not say I love you by showering females with attention, gifts, meals out etc once the "I just want to fúck you" stage is over with.

Ven0m if you are not comfy saying anything, dont and be glad you didnt lie.

K-

*Sweeping generalisation. Does not apply to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

i love you all.

Even me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Coconut

Well, a hearfelt thank you isn't so bad. (Heartfelt, as opposed to "Cheers"!) If you consider it an honour that she has said it, why not? When my first boyfriend told me he loved me after two months I was nowhere near ready to tell him the same, but I was really happy that he felt that way about me. So thats what I told him, and that I was heading that direction, but wanted to be really sure that I meant it when I said it.
    But I suppose that really only works the first few times she says it to you. Then, once she's sure that you are still just waiting to be sure, she shouldn't be saying it just in the hope that you will reply but so that you will know she does. So you could just say "I know", but only if you say it right - Like you realise its a big deal, and you appreciate being reminded of it.
    But hey, if you keep reminding her of how you like spending time with her, doing little things with her, miss her etc, you're a) halfway there, and b) she should be fairly happy with that for now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

ven0m wrote:
    Quick question, my girlfriend the other day turned around & told me "she loved me".... didn't know how to respond. I know she wasn't looking for me to say it back, cos she was just letting me know how she felt about me... but I felt a bit of a twat not knowing what to say so instead I got down to business with her .....

question is really - what DO you say when a person says "i love you".... obviously you don't go "cheers/thanks/insert appreciative comment here".... & obviously 9/10 times they're not looking for you to say it back the first time you say it......

mind boggling...... answers preferably not on a postcard :D

I've been in that situation myself ... and i used a scene from Scrubs to save me ( god bless you televison ;P) . "Bananna Hamock" was all i said, it ended up as a little joke between us. Now i'm along the same lines as your self, i'm not going to say "I Love you too" just for the sake of it, i'll say it if i mean it.

If it is starting to make you feel uncomfertable , and she is saying it almost everyday , then i'd sit down and have a little chat with her about it ... but becareful ... big mine field ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, in fairness, a lot of people would've been scared into responding in kind.

If you're not ready to say that, then dont.

Megatron wrote:
    I've been in that situation myself ... and i used a scene from Scrubs to save me ( god bless you televison ;P) . "Bananna Hamock" was all i said, it ended up as a little joke between us. Now i'm along the same lines as your self, i'm not going to say "I Love you too" just for the sake of it, i'll say it if i mean it.

If it is starting to make you feel uncomfertable , and she is saying it almost everyday , then i'd sit down and have a little chat with her about it ... but becareful ... big mine field ahead.

She knows the 'banana hammock' thing LOL, & it too is a usual joke between us..... said... I'm not uncomfortable with her having said it to me at all..... she's a very honest woman & I'm glad she felt it was cool enough to say knowing I wasn't gonna run a mile....... think alot of women worry about that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

say "i love you too" and then after a pause "well i liked their early stuff anyway, but it all went downhill around achtung baby"

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Personally i reckon anyone that says they are afraid to use those words is a bit mad in the head.

I love the trees the frass the birds and about 3 people in my world, love shouldnbt be tested or have to live up to standards love is different for everybody because everybody is different.

you cant tell someone else that they are or arent in love unless of course you are Rikki Lake or some other sh1t stirrer like that-

for those of you who think you are helping and are some sort of authority on the issue- you are and forever will be wrong until you realize love comes in all shapes and sizes and i'm not just talking avbout the people in love

and for you OP i think you are right for not saying it if you dont feel it. But because they are special words i wouldnt be afraid of saying them!! You do whats right for you, if i have advice it would be. Go with what you feel for the person and sooner or later you will reveal to yourself whether or not you are in love.

And enjoy it if it is, and if its not, enjoy that too(without hurting the other person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Anony Mass wrote:
    Personally i reckon anyone that says they are afraid to use those words is a bit mad in the head.
    Why?

I love several people.

I have been in love; had erotic, romantic love for two people in the course of my life, one a lover of a few months and one my ex-wife who I shared most of my adult life with. I love my children. I love my dear friends. I experience agape - the love for ones fellow men and women. I have love for my gods, love for the rain on a hot day and the wind when it howls.

Who and what I love can bring me great joy and great pain. And they do. I enjoy their company immensely, I worry about them a lot, I share their pain and their upsets and their triumphs. Knowing they love me I know I bring them both joy and pain also.

When I tell people I love them, I tell them they have this capability, have this power over me whether they want it or not. I tell them I trust them with it, that I am giving it to them because I trust them and that I trust them because I love them. I let them into my space, emotionally and physically I let them get near to me. There's a reason "perfect love and perfect trust" were the two passwords to a Wiccan circle, why they both go together. There's a reason why they still are - they're long since not secret, but that doesn't make either of them just come about.

If that love and trust is betrayed it stabs. If that love whithers when no one is really to blame it bruises. When that love is not enough to stop the beloved from doing something hurtful it stings.

Why not be afraid to use those words, to let someone know this? If the words are not a lie they admit to much, open much, leave much exposed. Why not spend a long time unsure yourself if that is really what you feel about someone, why admit easily that someone affects you in this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Just let her know that your not able to tell her yet, but that those not mean that wont fall in love with her.
    She should understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

If you'd asked me 3 weeks ago I'd have said, hell no, nothing something you just throw around... however I told my current boyfriend I love him after 4 days, as did he. When ya know, ya know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Er, if you really do love her then do tell her. She will like to hear it.

Or else just tell her you love ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Just quote Han Solo and say " I Know !"

Advertisement