Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor wall..qualifications?

Options
  • 28-07-2005 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can confirm my thoughts on indoor wall supervision.

From what I can gather via Tiglin/ Mountaineering bodies/insurance etc. there is no qualification specifically for indoor instruction.. there is one in the pipeline...and will be introduced some time in the future.

I've been told that the single pitch award is what's recommended for anyone supervising walls.

All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Currenlty there is no qualification for indoor supervision, correct. The S.P.A. is what is generally required to supervise an indoor wall, its also the starting point for a career in climbing. An indoor cert would, imho, be easy to obtain and would allow you to earn a living while obtaining further qualifications (like the S.P.A.) but runs the risk of not being considered as *real* climbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Thanks Phil,

I've been asked to instruct a group.... but I've no certification...just 14 years experience, so I was just looking at the whole insurance/liability end of things.
    Seems to be a grey area... my own thinking is that
    if I don't get a reward/paymant then I can't be financially liable... I know theres little possibility of injury..but you an never be too safe!

Advertisement