Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My GF's grandad

• 27-07-2005 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Ok i've never posted here before so forgive me if i've done it wrong or something :p

I'd like to forward my GF's grandad as a potential 'legend of the board'. I don't know too much about the man, but he is close to 80 years old, he fought in the Korean war in the American forces, survived around 3 years as a POW as friends were killed around him, was presumed dead. Received a letter some time ago inviting his family to some memorial service for soldiers that had perished in the war, little did the Army know is that he was still alive. The guy has been a dairy farmer for decades, still working on it even now at age of 79 and still rides his bike everyday.

He was hit by a car last night just outside Athboy in Meath while his wife, daughter and gran kids looked on. Was pinned under the car, had a severe cut on his head, dislocated his shoulder and broken his leg very badly, Docs say there is a good chance the bone won't heal, he will be in surgery this afternoon to try and fix it.

What did he ask in the ambulance on the way to the hospital you say? He asked to pull over so he could get a pint :cool:

The man is a legend.

Legend 34 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 34 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

LundiMardi wrote:
    Ok i've never posted here before so forgive me if i've done it wrong or something :p

I'd like to forward my GF's grandad as a potential 'legend of the board'. I don't know too much about the man, but he is close to 80 years old, he fought in the Korean war in the American forces, survived around 3 years as a POW as friends were killed around him, was presumed dead. Received a letter some time ago inviting his family to some memorial service for soldiers that had perished in the war, little did the Army know is that he was still alive. The guy has been a dairy farmer for decades, still working on it even now at age of 79 and still rides his bike everyday.

He was hit by a car last night by a scumbag just outside Athboy in Meath while his wife, daughter and gran kids looked on. Was pinned under the car, had a severe cut on his head, dislocated his shoulder and broken his leg very badly, Docs say there is a good chance the bone won't heal, he will be in surgery this afternoon to try and fix it.

What did he ask in the ambulance on the way to the hospital you say? He asked to pull over so he could get a pint :cool:

The man is a legend.

Legend indeed. Grandads are great. Reading this makes me miss mine even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Unfortunately, the docs think that they may not be able to save his leg:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

:D What a guy !! That's the way I want to be when I get to that age. A true legend.

Hope the doc's can save his leg dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Thanks people, everything's all good, he got out of surgery last night and the docs seem happy, he's starting physio tomorrow so everything seems to be looking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Best of Luck to him. I can only hope that I'll be half as fit as he is when I'm that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Best of luck to him - Sounds like a fine gent. Hope he gets better soon.

I bet he couldn't possibly get his head around the fact that people who have never seen or met him are discussing him with people they have never seen or met over the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I live down the road from him, sound fella, glad to read he is doing okay.

Legend!

LundiMardi wrote:
    Thanks people, everything's all good, he got out of surgery last night and the docs seem happy, he's starting physio tomorrow so everything seems to be looking up.

Did he get his pint yet? Man I feel like buying him one...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

LundiMardi wrote:
    He asked to pull over so he could get a pint :cool:

class! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement