Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Beam As Mantlepiece

Options
  • 25-07-2005 11:55pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads
    We are putting in a timber beam in our fireplace and have sourced a good place, www.wilsonsyard.com where they have quoted us 190 euro for it sanded, waxed and delivered.

The question I am asking is what size beam should we get exactly? It will be stone faced fireplace, now do they usually build the stone the same as the front of the house, as in 8inches deep or do they cut it.

If they do then that means we would want a beam 8" for the stone and 8" of an over hang.

Also the thickness, what width, 6, 8 or 10 inches??

Our rooms is 15ft * 15ft and the beam will be 105 inches long.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

Yop,
    How do you plan to attach the beam to the wall or stone? I have seen off-level beams where there is poor attachment to the wall and you can't put anything on the beam. If the beam was supported by itself then you would not need thick stonework to support it. If you are in the middle of the build then could you consider putting some supports into the walls underneath the plasterwork leaving only some steel supports protruding out to insert into holes drilled into the beam? i haven't done this myself but it is the way I am thinking about doing it for myself.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

Will be doing something similar myself down the line.

Here's my scenario...

I picked up a 7ft white oak timber beam from Limerick Architectural Salvage for Eur 130

mine is 9" x 5" the biggest size they did was 10" x 6"

(Have you made sure you can get the bigger sizes you want)

I'm sourcing my stone for the fireplace from www.wesellstone.com in Roscrea

They sell the stone for a 9" depth or can also dress it for 4".

The guy at the yard said that most folks go for the 4" but that if you have a large breast then a 9" can look good. I think I'll be going with the 9" depth as the courses for the 4" finish look a bit on the skinny side when laid (IMHO) especially as I'm taking the stone all the way to the ceiling.

Was originally thinking of putting the beam in with the 5" side facing out but have decided now to have the 9" side to the front as there is a more interesting grain pattern there as opposed to very boring grain on the 5" front.

This leaves me with a 4" gap to deal with behind the beam :-(

So....

I'm going to
    • fit the beam so that it's bottom will be 3" or so below the existing lintel for the opening, effectively hiding that :-)
    • install a lintel behind the beam but level with the top of it to help support the stone overhead.
    hope this is of use to you.

Advertisement