Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog breeding farms

Options
  • 23-07-2005 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a thing on TV recently about puppy farms. Apparently this is illegal in Britain but NOT here and there are loads of them around the country breeding hundreds of puppies a lot of which will be used illegaly in Britain for dog fighting. The conditions are awful they had an undercover guy there with micro button camera. Reminds me of a chicken farm :mad:

Anyone see it? Probably been discussed before but it makes me sad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Puppy farms are rampant in Ireland, and they are giving genuine breeders who research their breed and put a lot of money and care into their health and welfare.
    Too many back yard breeders in Ireland as well.
    Very greedy country and a very greedy buisness with no thought to the welfare of the animals.
    Not enough of them are being uncovered.

This is why I go on and on about people buying dogs and that if they have to buy a pure bred that they should research the breed, know what to look out for health wise and make sure they have genuine papers/vaccinations and that the housing and parents can be seen etc. Commen sense helps too.

It is a sickening buisness and maddening also you just have to take a peek at certain free ads papers to realise how bad it's gone, not only with puppy farms but people breeding from home. It seems to be ok to sell a lab for example once it's vaccinated and regd no thought has gone into the raising of the pups or hip scores and other health screening many pure breds require.
    People seem to think if you pay 400 Euro for a dog then it must be top notch.
    People buying puppy farmed dogs or dogs from chancers are just fuelling the trade.

As I said a few genuine breeders out there, you can make a bit of money from genuinely breeding a dog that has top quality care but in the end a good breeder ends up spending more on the bringing the dog up to standard and many will just break even, if you are in it purely for the money and not for the love of the breed then well need I say more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

But its the consumer that needs educating, why buy a dog from a reputable dealer when you can get one cheaper at a puppy farm.
    All the good dog owners wouldnt touch them with a bargepole, but the first time buyer, He's the one that feeds the rescue organisations, apart from the irresponsible ones, who shouldnt have animals to start with.

Grand words, But how do you solve the problem???
    Could you imagine the headlines "govt minister sais You cant have a puppy farm dog"
    Bring in tagging for all animals. That would point out the problem.
    Perhaps we could extend that to humans as well!!! Theres a few moderators I would like to tag !!

Advertisement