Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elan share price on the up!!

Options
  • 21-07-2005 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

About time!!

I am hoping that they ll go all the way to €20+ again.

I bought some @ €6 each, bloody tax man and the brokers will get me profits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Yeah good to see although pharmaceutical stocks by their very nature (esp Elan) are extremely volatile so if I can make a 100% profit on Elan I will sell. Bought around 450 shares at approx 5.65euro each after they plummeted a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was at college last year - final year of an accounting and finance degree, one class was where we had 10000e to invest in shares, i stuck the whole lot in Elan, the share price rocketed when it was announced that Elan received a license to test to new wonder drug. The share value was 25000e after three months. Sweet!

That doesnt happen every day that was a once id say.

FBD is continuing to grow but if have to stop at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You paper invested your entire sum in one share?

I assume you know that this is not a good idea in real trading in a portfolio situation.

;)

nesf wrote:
    You paper invested your entire sum in one share?

I assume you know that this is not a good idea in real trading in a portfolio situation.

;)

Yeah it go only one of two ways at the same time, up or down!

Yeah i invested everything into one share, and it worked, if i had the money i would not do it like that.

It was a short term investment and i went with a high risk stratgery that at the time paid off, not because i was lucky because i knew what i was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

kluivert wrote:
    It was a short term investment and i went with a high risk stratgery that at the time paid off, not because i was lucky because i knew what i was doing.
    What you were privy to insider information in Elan? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fitzer12345

kluivert wrote:
    not because i was lucky because i knew what i was doing.

Fair play to you! I have made money on Elan at their current price but it was just luck. The company is a rollercoaster running on TYSABRI. In my opinion it will make or break the company. :eek:

kluivert wrote:
    Yeah i invested everything into one share, and it worked, if i had the money i would not do it like that.

*nods*

I agree completely mate. But I'd maintain there was still a nice degree of luck involved. There always is. Otherwise all you'd need was a little experience and you could almost literally print money.

(This is more directed at other people than you btw, just trying to reinforce the dangers of the markets to any casual readers)

nesf wrote:
    *nods*

I agree completely mate. But I'd maintain there was still a nice degree of luck involved. There always is. Otherwise all you'd need was a little experience and you could almost literally print money.

(This is more directed at other people than you btw, just trying to reinforce the dangers of the markets to any casual readers)

That's very true. Just look at the highest and lowest price of some of the top stocks on the ISEQ in the past year!!! No stock is safe from a bit of a tumble especially in the short-term. I bought Iona Technologies less than 6mths ago at around E4.45 a share and look at it now - just scraping 50% of that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

as said earlier tybsil (spl) will make all the difference in the price over the next 2-3 yrs.
    seems that they are dealing with it well in the sence that they are now being open about whats happening.
    Would love to see it come back to 20, but its a risk that u shouldnt consider taking unless u can afford to lose.

• Advertisement

At least one thing that can never be said about Elan as a stock is that it's boring... Sit back, belt up and enjoy the ride!

Nice jump yesterday for Elan after the Tysabri update. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fitzer12345

It is good news alright Giles. But as we all know Elan is a rollcoaster. Hopefully it will stay going up though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

It is good news alright Giles. But as we all know Elan is a rollcoaster. Hopefully it will stay going up though!
    Not if the FDA insist on a black box warning for Tysabri - will mean no off-label uses. I'd imagine given the data coming out on PML at the moment this is a possiblity

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one big-time.

I just invested another E6.5k in Elan there a day or two ago. Got the funds from selling all my stake in IFG (I bought them in March at E1 a share so I made a nice quick profit of 37% there!)

I know it's a gamble and I know I will either win or lose, probably spectacularly in both cases.

It's certainly more interesting and engaging (even from afar) than leaving money on deposit but of course it has to be said that the stock market is not for everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Giles wrote:
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one big-time.

I just invested another E6.5k in Elan there a day or two ago. Got the funds from selling all my stake in IFG (I bought them in March at E1 a share so I made a nice quick profit of 37% there!)

I know it's a gamble and I know I will either win or lose, probably spectacularly in both cases.

It's certainly more interesting and engaging (even from afar) than leaving money on deposit but of course it has to be said that the stock market is not for everyone. :)
    What price did you buy at? Ill be keeping an interested eye!

What price did you buy at? Ill be keeping an interested eye!

6.76 a share I think. Price went down straight afterwards! :mad:

I just have a hunch about Elan and that they're going to come good. In which case I'll be a very happy camper.

If it all goes wrong I've only myself to blame I know what I'm getting into here. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hmm, Im going to throw 4k on Elan. I should have done ages ago, but I backed out. I will now, worth the risk I think.

Kersh wrote:
    Hmm, Im going to throw 4k on Elan. I should have done ages ago, but I backed out. I will now, worth the risk I think.

Why not? He who dares and all that... :D

Haha and if it all goes wrong we can moan about it here on Boards! :p

Giles wrote:
    Why not? He who dares and all that... :D

Haha and if it all goes wrong we can moan about it here on Boards! :p

If it all goes right you can subscribe ;)

Keep us posted. It should prove interesting. I'm still a bit cautious about Elan tbh.

• Advertisement

Its a gamble put if you long term, should its price drop again it will rise again. but its depends on how quickly it will rise again and you could be waiting a very good time.

Now thats it coming into the winter session i think ill be putting my money into an Umbrella and overcoats company for the rainy days ahead.

Just seen that Elan closed at E8.99 yesterday. Excellent news!

Presumably on the news that the latest trials involving Tybrasi have concluded without any further deaths etc. They're now applying for a licence to sell the drug in the US and Europe. Good chance they'll get it I'd say and it would appear that the market would agree considering the price rose almost 10% yesterday!

Already in profit by almost 4k and counting if I sold now. :D

Gonna hold on to them though I've got a good feeling about this as I've maintained all along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You know, when Elan's shares dropped after the scandals, it was so obvious they would at least double in the short term.

Markets are so fickle.

I wish I had the cash to take advantage of dumb humans.

dublindude wrote:
    You know, when Elan's shares dropped after the scandals, it was so obvious they would at least double in the short term.

Markets are so fickle.

I wish I had the cash to take advantage of dumb humans.

So true...

Markets, especially financial ones, almost always over-react whether positively or negatively from a stock's point of view.

It's an old cliche but.... buy low, sell high!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Oh... well when they slipped to €2+/share I was already loaded with Elan so while I was tempted (company was valued at €4/share excluding) I decided not to over expose myself this share by buying again. Regardless of what price I got it at... I do think going forward next year the recent news that it should appreciate more. With it a warning label going on the Tysabri would wait for €20? hmmm.

But yeah, nice to hold on it with 10 or so other shares... a nice spicy one in the mix. Try selling a chuck of a house. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

Elan is on the up again - how long will it keep going for ?

For a good while yet hopefully... ;)

I've had a hunch for a while about them really so I feel the price may even hit 20 a share again. I could cash out now with a nice serious profit so I'm still in gamble territory. They could crash again if there's anymore bad news on Tybrasi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

From a technical analysis point of view,a lot of what has said makes sense.

From a fundamental Analysis perspective the firm is posting negative earnings this year and expected negative earnings next year.
    With that in mind the company is looking overvalued,unless earnings increase dramatically over the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i should have invested in elan ages ago i was going to but then stopped because i was joung and didnot want to loose out at that stage.how well are u guys doing on shares.i have 5000 euro i want to spend but donot know where to start.hope somone can help.
    thanks in advance or even pm me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CorporalCarrot

Dre

If that 5k is all the money you have to invest there might be better places to put it because Elan is an extremely volatile stock.

Anyone who invests here needs to understand that at the moment (until at least its Alzheimers and nano programs start to deliver meaningful results), Elan is effectively a one trick pony, dependent on the re-introduction of Tysabri.

Tysabri however if re-introduced will be a blockbuster drug which could see the share price back in the $20-$30 range (it was at $29 before Tysabri was withdrawn).

But understand that one more case of PML or the FDA requesting more data or something before approval could see the share price halved immediately.

I suggest if you are thinking about buying, you visit the Yahoo! message board for Elan, and check out posts by pinvestment and others. These folks are extremely knowledgeable at the scientific level about the whole situation.

http://messages.yahoo.com/?action=q&board=ELN

Another site that has lots of research on the subject is

http://www.tixx.com/elan.htm

So appreciate the risks, before you invest.

C

Disclosure; I am long Elan shares and options and holding.

Advertisement