Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genetic Testing/Counselling in Ireland

Options
  • 02-08-2001 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have a 9-month-old son who has congenital Tetralogy of Fallot and Cataracts. Excellent doctors and consultants have treated him for both conditions and he is doing exceptionally well.

My question relates to Genetic testing and counselling in Ireland and best practice. My 9-year-old daughter developed cataracts at age 4, shortly afterwards her mother was diagnosed as having cataracts also.

On the facts, and without any knowledge of genetics, there is a strong genetic link.

I have also come across a condition that results from a deletion on chromosome 22 at q11 (if memory serves and whatever that means).

I am very surprised that no one in the course of treatment of the above has followed up on the genetic link.

So, where can you go for genetic counselling and where can you have a genetic link or cause confirmed.

A slight aside, why is it that case conferences aren't used in Irish hospitals (apart from the obvious overload answer). There seems to be a big gap in terms of best international practice.

Comments

Advertisement