Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum Conciousness

Options
  • 01-07-2001 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

For anyone at all interested in theories of conciousness a very very interesting article (to the point where I've read it several times) is available at the link below detailing Stuart Hameroffs views on the subject including a good introduction of to both Penrose and OR-model

http://www.consciousness.arizona.edu/hameroff/slideshow_intro.htm

It's very long and pretty heavy in parts but very worthwhile.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've tried to read Penrose's Emperor's New Mind several times and I find myself frowning (and at least once nearly shouting at the book !) in frustration.

The man is supposed to be one of the cleverest people in the field but I just cant wade through the book if I've lost all respect for the foundations of his conclusions....

Anyone else have this reaction?

DeV.
    (a confessed Dawkins lover).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Penrose is rather overbearing in an Isaac Newton fashion when presenting his views on quantum behavior. I find Hawking's Brief History of Space and Time faaaar more modest, even if it is meant to appeal to the average schmo more. Schroedinger's Cats/Kittens are two great books, can't remember the author as it was a fair while ago that I read them.

James Gleick's "Chaos" is a fantastically written book DeV- though being a mathematician you will no doubt have heard of it- Mandelbrot's legendary "Disorder in Medium" is a little known book publicly- and was in fact withdrawn from publication on religious grounds in several places (possibly even Eire :O)

The author I read most of, both scientific and popular science literature would have to be Steve Jay Gould. Aside from being lectured and tutored by him at university, I find his style of writing appealing, thought-provoking and inspiring.

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Veritas Veritas Veritas=

Advertisement