Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Pigeon

Options
  • 20-07-2005 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a place where you might register trained pigeons.......!!

The story is -: A very friendly pigeon flew into my Mum's garden yesterday and was still there this morning.. He/she (not sure which) has two coloured rings, one on each foot and seems to be very well looked after. I was wondering is there was a place we could contact to help us find the owner....

Any suggestions ????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

I do know somone whose very intersted in pigeons. D. Dastardly. His friends call him Dick. Mad into airplanes and racing cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

It may be in the phone book under ' Irish Homing Union ', don't have one to hand to check now but will have a look when i get home. Most areas also have a racing club, so you could report it through them. Racing pigeons only require one ring so, unless its rubber, the second one may well contain the owners phone no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ruby

Thanks for that Arcadia.
    After checking the rings, it turns out the pigeon is originally from Great Britain (GB was the start of an ID on one of the rings). My parents got in touch with the relevant people and they were very helpful and hopefully will be picking him up in the next few days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Sometimes a homing pidgeon gets tired or lost, thats when he will visit you, he is used to being handled and has a trainer. Thats how you know he is a homer.
    Put him in a cardboard box for the night with a bit of corn or seed and make sure it has lots of holes in it, Leave him till the morning and then release him.
    Repeat that night if he is still there( some pidgeons get viruses that take a few days to clear up) Do not feed him or offer him a home as he will want to stay, allways put the feed in the box with him.
    Eventually he will up & fly home. Just like he is trained to do.
    You will have the knowledge that you helped a weary traveller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ruby

Water and Seed were left with him for two days and nights running and then this morning, no pigeon... It seems that he has refuelled and moved on... Hopefully he will find his way... Thanks for your help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Just typed in pigeon into search on boards because a little while ago I was going to the shops and I saw a pigeon sitting on the side of the road looking at an egg. The poor thing must have laid the egg on the side of the road and didnt know what to do with it. I rang the ispca they said there was nothing I could do. The pigeon had two rings on its legs so prob was a homing pigeon and looked so sad sitting looking at the egg. The ispca said to chase it away then it would fly home. I just went back around and the bird is gone but the egg is sitting there. Will prob be eaten by something this evening :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

gonker wrote:
    Just typed in pigeon into search on boards because a little while ago I was going to the shops and I saw a pigeon sitting on the side of the road looking at an egg. The poor thing must have laid the egg on the side of the road and didnt know what to do with it. I rang the ispca they said there was nothing I could do. The pigeon had two rings on its legs so prob was a homing pigeon and looked so sad sitting looking at the egg. The ispca said to chase it away then it would fly home. I just went back around and the bird is gone but the egg is sitting there. Will prob be eaten by something this evening :(

Cant solve this one.
    Perhaps an omlette??

Advertisement