Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby sparrow

Options
  • 20-07-2005 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My sister works in a Vets and was given a baby sparrow to look after - it had been handed in by a member of the public as it had fallen out of a nest and got lost.

So we've been hand rearing this bird for the past week or so. It has no fear of humans, (sits on your hand happily!) and has been stretching its wings a lot recently. Do you think the bird will have any sort of hope out in the wild? Will she know how to find food herself without the mother there to guide it or will she keep coming back to us?

Alternatively, does anyone have an avery which might suit the wee thing?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

When I was a kid in london we allways reared sparrows & pidgeons that had fallen from the nest. Just wait untill they fledge(grow fevers) and take them out in the garden, Just make sure they can flutter a good bit or the cats will get them.
    Feed him with a pipette with bread & milk gunged up in the morning twice, and if he is still out in the evening bring him in and repeat tomorrow.
    He will hang around for a few days and then you cut down feeding him to only once in the morning and give him a bit of wild bird seed scattered around,
    eventually he will feed himself and then come back to the seed if he is still hungry. I about a week he will be wild again.
    Its not friendly to make a pet out of a wild animal, but in the garden I have a wren and two robins that come for a feed when I turn the garden over, so I throw the blackbird a few worms, and he gracefull accepts a meal.
    Thats the way all birds should be, exept those who are bred in cages and know nothing better.
    Wild birds are born with instincts and they all have them built in. They revert to this very quickly

Advertisement