Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freediving in Ireland, Preferably Dublin, near the 40 Foot?

Options
  • 20-07-2005 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey, Is there any good sites around the 40 foot that you can freedive or scuba dive? Any wrecks? Im new to the area and I just went freediving yesterday, saw a huge pollock even though the vis was pretty bad. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

not to sure bout the whole freediving scene but.....
    decent dive site round d 40ft include
    - sandycove west (nice reef bout 6-7 mins out at 30degrees on compass facing the water)

-ladyswell (at high tide possible to get around 20mtrs if u look hard) site is down a pathway beside loreto dalkey

-coliemore harbour (nice site for diving in dalkey sound, bout 15mtrs max)

- greystones (bit further down but nice dive round d back of the harbour wall)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FreediverK

Hi Guys,

I'm an AIDA** qualified freediver and I do some pool training in the NAC (National Aquatic Centre) in Blanchardstown on Tuesday nights between 9pm - 10pm. I train with the Ocean divers scuba club there, safety divers are there to. If there are any equally qualified AIDA **, *** or **** freedivers out there who would like to join me get in touch.
    I havent ventured out into the sea yet as I'm sceptable about the safety issues but am certainly up for travelling to do some diving around Ireland.
    I have never speared before but would love to give that ago to.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a few Spearos/Freedivers around, Fergal in Sligo is a keen freediver and there are more down in Cork and along the west coast.
    I used to spear a lot but have not done much in the last few years as I have had less time to devote to it.
    My PB spearing was 20m but I didn't push it SWB is not a way I wish to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There is a few Spearos/Freedivers around, Fergal in Sligo is a keen freediver and there are more down in Cork and along the west coast.

Thats me lost me password for the other login.

All going well I,m off to egypt in may for pelizzaris instructor course and hope to hold some courses then in july or august and was wondering what people would be interested in 1. a pure freediving course with yoga etc and 2. a freediving and spearing course. Both will be similar in content.
    Once I get a few under I may try to travel but need to base myself where I know for the first few anyway so they will be in Sligo. Mullaghmore/Ballyconnell.

Will you let us know what you think cheers lads. You may see a similar post in other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 David Murray

FreediverK wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm an AIDA** qualified freediver and I do some pool training in the NAC (National Aquatic Centre) in Blanchardstown on Tuesday nights between 9pm - 10pm. I train with the Ocean divers scuba club there, safety divers are there to. If there are any equally qualified AIDA **, *** or **** freedivers out there who would like to join me get in touch.
    I havent ventured out into the sea yet as I'm sceptable about the safety issues but am certainly up for travelling to do some diving around Ireland.
    I have never speared before but would love to give that ago to.

Cheers
    Rory

Hey Rory,

I used to dive with Willie but had to stop. Im not qualified in anyway to be a free diver. However i regulary go out alone with my camera in the Sandycove area. I have no intrest in breaking any Apnea world records just enjoying being in the Ocean photographing. As for spearing fish i got a gun a few years ago in Spain. When it came to the crunch i preferred shooting with my camera.

Drop me a mail if your going out. Saftey in numbers.........man.
    Take it easy.

Regards,

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Niall s

Hey

I'm a qualified scuba and free Diver and looking to keep it up at home. Not looking to break any records, just like being in the blue. Anyone fancy getting together around Dublin bay to try a few spots and catch some fish?

Advertisement