Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Onset Asthma ?

Options
  • 19-07-2005 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here been diagnosed with this ?

(I haven't been diagnosed but will probably be doing some tests in the near future to confirm what I already suspect).

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

well I have asthma! don't really affect me all that much! In fact I can't even remember when it last effected me. I'm a preventer inhaler that I use maybe once or twice a year. It really aint that big of a deal and certaintly nothing to worry about as you can still do everything in life that you have as been able to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I had chronic asthma as a child and was so sick I used to go to school in hospital. Also was read the last rights 4 times. Left lunge collapsed so many times that it never fully recovered. They had always stressed to my mam and dad that I’d grow out of it. Which I thought I did when I had my last attack at 14. Was 24 when I had another attack on Christmas eve which was bad enough but then they tell me that’s its back for the rest of my life which broke my heart. I kept thinking that I’d be as bad as I was when younger but I’m actually fine. I think when you’re older you keep away from things that might trigger it. Like Going away and people smoking in bars. Now that gets to me the next morning or being at a bbq late at night when the due is falling. Things like that you need to keep away from but otherwise you should be fine if you keep your inhaler on you. Its not as bad as you might think, honestly!! Good luck x x x :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

thanks for the replies. wow - sounds like you've been through the mill with that !

I've not been diagnosed but have been showing many of the symptoms to the extent that I have a nebulizer and I'm not allowed begin a course of immunotherapy to try and deal with my chronic dust-mite and pollen allergy. (in case the treatment kills me ! no joke).

I have been reading up on adult-onset asthma to try and understand the types of tests that are done and the treatments used.

Am very keen to find out from anyone who has been diagnosed with this having never suffered from asthma as a child.

Hopefully it's something else (always a possibilty) but I'd like to get as informed as possible.

Yes. I've spoken to my doctor (and my wife who is an RN) but want to learn as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Swimming is brilliant for your lunges. Plus running if you can. Worth a try plus it keeps you very fit!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Children with asthma will grow out of it.
    Adults who get asthma will live with it for the rest of thier lives. Fact.

I have adult onset of asthma. When I was 18 I had my first attack.
    You do learn to avoid the things that will trigger it and to carry your inhaler with you always!
    myself I have attacks all winter long if I am out in the cold air too long.
    I have to use my inhaler almost everyday walking in to work in winter only.
    During the summer I never have to use it unless I am in a really smoky bar or my allergies act up causing me to cough and restrict the airways.

When i laugh really hard or cough I need the inhaler to open the airways back up.

Other than that I lead a normal , happy healthy life.
    You will get used to it and know your triggers soon enough to stay away from them ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement