Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wabbits and woodpigeons

• 18-07-2005 4:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know someone who wants a bit of culling done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Umiq88

what area

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have gun will travel eh? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dublin area,but like the man says..will travel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I'm just back from a very pleasant afternoon of pigeon shooting, 54 birds between two guns. Winter barley is now being cut, so head for the country, find a farm where they're harvesting and ask for permission there and then. They won't say no.
    We were using two spinners today, they are absolute pigeon magnets.
    Remember to bring home your spent cartridges.

Sounds great,do you eat the pigeons afterwards?they're one of my favourite foods!

• Advertisement

I haven't eaten pigeon in years but my brother loves them.

i heard of a guy that sells them cant rememer where to though dunno who would want to buy them probably bloody europeans they'd eat anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I've eaten pigeon and even better pigeon soup... Yum..
    Excellent stuff .. !

It will put hairs on places you didn't even know you had places..! :D

thats one of the reasons i'm looking to shoot the blighters,they're excellent eating.Rooks too,around the end of may the young ones are very tender and tasty,once they've been flying for a while they toughen up.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Your JOKING right? :eek:
    Have eaten pegions, never crows, yuk :( .

• Advertisement

Well Degsy, will you be having Rook pie this week. Shot about thirty or so pigeons today over barley stubbles. Also found a wheat field(uncut) with the largest number of woodies I've seen in my life feeding on it. Saving it for Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Keelan wrote:
    Your JOKING right? :eek:
    Have eaten pegions, never crows, yuk :( .

Never know til you try ;) Rooks used to be a staple of the victorian country kitchen along with rabbit,numerous different song birds,now protected.
    Have eaten worse meself.Snake and rat springs to mind.Havent tried the far East delicacy of the insect buffet in Thailand yet. :D

North county Dublin is alive with them at the moment,i managed to get permission to shoot a field that's being cut next week and i'm going to try a few other places in the coming days.I potted a couple of pigeons yesterday and they're being roasted whole later today.Has anyone noticed the number of crows lately?They're obviously being allowed to breed unchecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

if anyone nearby (galway) was intersted in a shoot they could come to my area for a look theres rabbits and plenty of pigeons due to the barley nearby

had a good days shooting today shot 15 rabbits between myself and my dad 5 were shot on foot 3 with a shot gun and i shot the other 12 with my rifle shot 10 of them out the roof of my jeep shot about 8 of them within 10 minutes was great fun good practice as well first time out shooting animals with my rifle i seemed to have it zeroed in pretty well because i can hit them in the head didnt miss a single shot this was just outside of dunlavin anyone know any good places around kilkenny

Finally got my shotgun renewal licence back.Now for some sport!!

Advertisement