Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Boxer puppy!

Options
  • 17-07-2005 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a 7 month old boxer puppy (bitch) who is starting to misbehave badly. Up till now she has been reasonably very good bar the odd bit of chewing (power washer, doors, decking, banisters etc). Her training was going quite well she sits, lies down stays and comes mostly until something takes her fancy elsewhere. However lately she has been terrible she runs off when ever she gets outside the front door and will not come back. I used to let her off in the park near the house and she used to really love the freedom and would always come back, but now its getting to the point where I can't even consider letting her off as she won't even come back when she knows I have a treat for her. It is like she's going throught her teenage years and trying to be a tearaway. Is this normal for that age of pup or am I going wrong with the training side of things? :confused:

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Dog in heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She could be in heat, she should be spayed at this age..6 months really at the latest but dos can be spayed pretty much at any age once in good health. Spaying will cut out the chance of uterine cancer, as boxers are very prone to cancers it is a good idea to spay.

Dogs are not supposed to be off the lead in public places, I know I know there are dogs running loose everywhere in the country but a young pup like that should be kept on the lead especially if she doesn't have good recall yet.

Mabey some puppy classes? Here's a list.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

If she's not in heat I would get her spayed asap, if she is in heat I would have her spayed straight after her heat.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Thanks for that. She doesn't appear to be in heat at the moment but maybe she is coming in to heat.
    As for letting her off the lead it used to be in a very closed off part of the park where a lot of dogs go but it was obviously only when her recall was good. But alas no more.
    As for spaying we are hoping to breed her and let her have one litter. This was part of the deal when we bought her as a pup from the breeder that he would be able to take choice of pups for showing purposes. We are hoping to hold on to one of the pups for ourselves also.

Advertisement