Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poem about death NEEDED URGENTLY

Options
  • 17-07-2005 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I'll be brief;

Someone I know told me of this poem where someone is sailing away from their family and the ship which once was full of wind in its sail is now sailing beyond the horizon. The family is sad. But the ship is being greeted at the other side (heaven/god/etc).

Someone close to me has died and I would really like to have this song for tomorrow.

I have tried and tried at googling, but have hit a brick wall. I need help with this.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

THE SHIP OF LIFE
    by John T. Baker

Along the shore I spy a ship
    As she sets out to sea;
    She spreads her sails and sniffs the breeze
    And slips away from me.

I watch her fading image shrink,
    As she moves on and on,
    Until at last she’s but a speck,
    Then someone says, “She’s gone.”

Gone where? Gone only from our sight
    And from our farewell cries;
    That ship will somewhere reappear
    To other eager eyes.

Beyond the dim horizon’s rim
    Resound the welcome drums,
    And while we’re crying, “There she goes!”
    They’re shouting, “Here she comes!”

We’re built to cruise for but a while
    Upon this trackless sea
    Until one day we sail away
    Into infinity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sorry to hear about the death sniipe good luck,i tried google for a while but nothin really...hopefully the poem above is the one you want..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I forgot all about this thread. MaeveD u are a saint, that is the exact poem. Even brings a tear to my eye a month later. I actually found the poem; long story really involving a priest, austrailia, contacting people that moved. Tar thanks for the effort but MaeveD got it bang on.

Thanks again.

The poem was read out by the daughter of the dead person, and I'm not kidding you there wasn't a dry eye in the packed out church.

Advertisement