Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Stolen in Tramore/Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This is a crime that has become quite common nowadays which is unfortunate and is heartbreaking for the owner!

My friend even kept a dog that followed him home one day and didnt bother to ring the number on the keyring. I ended up ringing it myself and returning it to the owner a few weeks later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I don't have any info but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that, and I hope you get him back. The scumbags who do this sort of things don't realise the hurt they cause by taking a beloved family pet.

Have you tried contacting the WSPCA (051841432 or 0872689500) and the pound to see if they know anything? You might also try ringing around the vets in the area to see if anyone's brought a dog of that description in for the first time.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck. :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We got him back but but it cost us quite a bit, bloody knackers, doesn't do their stereotypes any favours.

Yeah had phoned the pounds etc thanks.

Hopefully the scumbags will be done for extortion and theft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We got him back but but it cost us quite a bit, bloody knackers, doesn't do their stereotypes any favours.

Yeah had phoned the pounds etc thanks.

Hopefully the scumbags will be done for extortion and theft.

Fill us in on the whole story? Did they come to you offering you the dog back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

whats that about eh? They kidnapped your Dog and then asked for a ransom. Thats nuts!
    I can't belive that! Did you inform the Garda, i know what i would have done...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah can you give us, not details but the overall sequence of events, if its kidnapping for exorting money then this needs publicising.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Glad you got him back, even if it did cost you. :-)

The knackers are always after my dog - Lord help them if they actually took her. That would be one big mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I wasn't around for any of this, just going by what dad told me.

He was taken on Thursday evening around 5pm.

Probably shouldn't go into too many specifics, but the people involved have managed to incriminate themselves in a few ways.

It was the posters that changed things, dad went around a few haltings sites in a friendly non threatening way, it was the words "large reward" that did it. Greedy insert expletive as applicable.

The Gardai were a bit crap to honest, yeah I know it's not much of a crime to them but still. When it was reported first the Garda in question was helpful and friendly. Then the next few days he seemed to be off sick so they fobbed us off. Parents decided that wasn't good enough went to the station, anyway by the time they looked through the report book it turns out the initial report wasn't even recorded!

People that do this are knackers regardless of their background. Yeah I know Traveller groups give out about the use of the word but I'd use it anyway even if it was a neighbour or something.

Mods feel free to edit if you think I've given too much info.

I can't wait to see him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

how much did you have to pay out if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Lousy ****ers! There was an "intellectual" traveller on WLR this morning talking them up, and saying that settled people are just as bad for breaking the law, etc.

But the sort of **** they get up to!

• Advertisement

They were looking for €400 but we got them down to €300, they didn't even count it when the 'exchange' took place.

:mad:

Thats cause they knew where to go back to if it wasn't al there... bastards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Lousy ****ers! There was an "intellectual" traveller on WLR this morning talking them up, and saying that settled people are just as bad for breaking the law, etc.

But the sort of **** they get up to!
    Yup most of them are tossers. Now there may be the main lot of them are genuine and honest people but all the ones I have met are complete assh0les. They stayed down on the road a few hundred yards from my place, and their dogs ran wild. 1 attacked our rabbit (which had a few fights with foxes and won each time), and a few other times we couldnt go out as the dogs where patroling the streets. The entire time our own dogs had to be watched when they went out when usually they are allowed to roam freely in the gardin. Anyway a week before they upped and left one of the dogs of theirs had been involved in an RTA and got killed the next day it was kindly dumped in the vegitation on the side of the road and they upped and left! Leaving the rotting corpse to be sorted by someone else and all their crap at the side of the road, to include bags of crap and urine (and I dont thing it was a dogs either!). Also they where asked to move away by residents here before they left and wanted a large sum to do so. Sorry but thats not on.

End of story Im glad to hear of the result was what you wanted and I hope you dont let the dog out of your sight as they will take it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I would like to get some real, proper stats on travellers and crime, because they insist that they are no worse than the settled community, but I'm not so sure about that...

Id like to see them tax and insure their cars for a start. After that it would be nice if they got driving licences...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its amazing the way "the powers that be" never do thier duty when it involves travellers.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

mike65 wrote:
    Its amazing the way "the powers that be" never do thier duty when it involves travellers.

Mike.

I think theres a few reasons for that. You cant send 1 Garda car into a halting site to look for a fella, because he probably has 15 names anyway. and when they get back to the car it'll look like something out of chitty chitty bang bang. So therefore, it takes 5 times the Gardai to look into a problem.

BUT.. Im not condoning this. The Gardai caught behind political correctness and the travellers are sitting behind it with big grins. (Im not saying all of them before the tree huggers come running).. But I do believe there is an us against them, lawless culture among travellers.

Of course.. ya cant say that can ya. Now Im an anti traveller racist I suppose.

Political correctness is gone crazy.. once upon a time it was a vital necessity but now its gone to the other end of the scale where the criminals are using it more than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

The poor auld traveller.....my arse....I have seen several of them driving brand new crew cabs, toyota vans, nissans etc. Selling their wares gates,furniture etc door to door.

Now maybe I am wrong here, but would someone tell me where to earn that type of money selling gates and furniture. And if they do is it taxed and PRSi'd doubt it.

We have to live within the laws of society, pay our taxes, buy our homes. These people want to be part of that society apparently so that we can accept them. However how can we accept people who don't live by the same laws we do and do not pay taxes.

Not to mention the constant court cases we hear for thieving and assaults and such.

Only the other day a neighbour of mine was robbed, she has alzheimers and her daughter visited the house, saw a wagon outside, when she went in 3 of them were sitting at the table. 2 kids were upstairs. Her mother was giving them tea. The daughter hunted them. Checked upstairs to see if anything was missing an the jewellery box was prized open and all the necklaces, bracelets and rings were gone.

I mean come on, this woman had Alzheimers.
    They will never be accepted by me, not one of them.

By the way I am being very restrained here. I am only typing a translation of what I am actually thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Trotter wrote:
    You cant send 1 Garda car into a halting site to look for a fella, because he probably has 15 names anyway.

Like the Pat Shortt sketch about the two Traveller brothers, Pa Connors and Pa Connors. One was named after the father, the other one after the grandfather!

Its well known that many, many Travellers make their money by moving en-masse into places and refusing to move until paid off. At one stage, the price was just less than the established cost of getting a court injunction. Apparently they even tried it in one of the Wfd car parks the week before the Tall Ships arrived. Imagine, say 50 caravans at €5000 apiece.

Look also at the mess they left behind them at the back of Sugarloaf mountain. I don't have much time for stereotypes but that's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

odie wrote:
    These people want to be part of that society apparently so that we can accept them. However how can we accept people who don't live by the same laws we do and do not pay taxes.

They cant be accepted into society, they are free loaders, rob anything even if its nailed down, let them into a pub and it will be burned down by the end of the night. Its in their genes to rob, steal, do what ever they like. Remember the Des Bishop Work Experience when he was in the Aqua Dome in Kerry and he left down a €2 coin beside him and 30 seconds later it was gone. Turned out a little traveller of about 8 robbed it. I always liked to think that not all travellers were bad but to be honest i could be wrong

• Advertisement

The Gardai should really have a few PSNI style Land Rovers, I presume they're tougher than a Transit with window shielding. Not because of Travellers per se but any potentially dodgy situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

People I know from wexford woke up one morning to the sight of them trying to steal their driveway gates. Unreal in all fairness

I know sombody who tried to buy a fireplac eoff them. He was getting a great deal untill he said he would take it away him self and not let them deliver it. They instantly put the price way up. Sounds odd to put up the price when you take out delivery. Simple reason was they wouldn't know where to go to steal it back after they had been paid for it if they didn't deliver it.

Advertisement