Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Stolen in Waterford.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Might help if you said where in waterford he was last seen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Newtown Cove/Tramore, on his lead, a few feet from our door. Taken off the lead and into the back of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Info on what to do if you have lost (or it was stolen) your pet
    http://www.irishanimals.ie/what_to_do_if_lost_dog.txt
    http://www.irishanimals.ie/pound.html

Phone all the pounds in your area with a description, strays have 5 days to be recalimed and surrenders just one day before they are pts just in case someone he was dumped and someone picked him up or in case the people who took him put him there.

Was he microchipped?
    Was there a tag on his collar?

The poor little guy, hope you find him.

Put posters all over the area with his pic if you can and contact info.
    Phone local SPCA and surrounding SPCAs too.

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for those links. I'll try some of those numbers tomorrow when they're open.

He wasn't microchipped no but he had a tag with our phone number. Though I'd say they pulled that off.

Some of this was caught on CCTV so we know for a fact it was theft and almost certainly preplanned. Probably the only way we can prove he's ours is through pics, certain identifying marks, responses to commands, vet records etc.

Posters going up with a few different photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Feel free to start a thread on the Waterford Board

Mike.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mike.

Looks like it might have been Travellers...

Need to find out if Pavee Point have a Waterford representative down there.

Yup it was Travellers, the more knackery variety in this instance.

So we got him back but it cost us.

Glad you got him back.

How on earth did it cost you? Was it a scam?? I have heard of dogs being stolen in the uk & the owners being sent a ransom demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Yes it does happen even in ireland. they know if they steal beloved pets that people WILL pay to get them back. Quite sick actually..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Great to hear you got the dog back, I would report the travellers to the local SPCA though just to keep them up to date with what is going on.
    Sickening that anyone can get away with this, it's becoming all too commen.
    At least the dog is safe now phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

Tip for the Black oil get the little fella microchipped should cost no more the €60 and they are a great deterrent, puts them off as the chip can not be taken out

Hmmm yeah I was wondering about that. It wasn't really available when we got him nearly 8 years ago. Would he be too old now, operations are trickier (sp) as they got older eh?

It's just an injection under the skin. 5 second job for the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

glad to hear you got your little dog back, i have a female yorkie, and would go mad if that happened to me,

So if we got a microchip is that sort of registered with you, like a barcode system that corresponds to your details?

Is this readily available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I'd say any vet should be able to do it for you. Just ring them up beforehand and ask, to be sure.
    It's definitely worth it. If your dog goes missing and turns up somewhere, they can just run a kind of scanner over the back of their neck and get your details immediately.

I'll ask in the local clinic tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

If your saying that it was blackmail on the part of travellers. If so why didnt you go to the police? It is illegal to blackmail people for money. Even if a dog is used as the bargaining tool.

Gardai are involved don't worry though they were a bit crap initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Really glad you got him back. I know I'd be completely heartbroken if a dog of mine ended up in the hands of those scum. I've seen how many of them treat animals.

€50 to get any animal mircochipped apparently, will suggest it to the old pair...

Advertisement