Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz n00b here.

Options
  • 15-07-2005 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Yeah, I'm sujre you get a lot of this on the Jazz/blues forum, but I'd like to get more into Jazz music, because a lot of what I've heard, wether it be from movies, radio, or this sickeningly talented guitarist I know, I really like.

What would be a good place to start, like bands, artists or compilations?, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Weather Report - 'Heavy Weather' never seems to disappoint. 'Headhunters' by Herbie Hancock is a good introduction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Well if you play guitar take a listen to people like Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, Pat Martino, Ben Monder, Jim Hall, Charlie Christian, George Benson etc etc etc...

I would recommend some Wes - "Smoking at the half note" is good and "The incredible jazz guitar of Wes Montgomery"

Pat Martino - Live at Yoshi's

And Undercurrant - Jim Hall and Bill Evans duo.

Other non guitarists would be

John Coltrane - Blue Trane - Giant Steps
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - Bitches Brew
    Herbie Hancock - as Doctor J said Headhunters but also Thrust

That's just a few to get you started!

Fusion
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Cheers for the feedback. I'm a guitarist, so I'll be sure to check those out, deffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Also check out Al Di Meola. I've seen an anthology about in HMV for 15 eurtos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Check out Friday Night in San Fransisco, this features John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia and Al Di Meola and for guitarist will just blow you away, also you MUST listen to Bireli Lagrene - he is just outstanding! he plays gypsy jazz as well as standard jazz guitars and will blow you away!

• Advertisement

Check out Friday Night in San Fransisco, this features John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia and Al Di Meola and for guitarist will just blow you away, also you MUST listen to Bireli Lagrene - he is just outstanding! he plays gypsy jazz as well as standard jazz guitars and will blow you away!
    You can pick that up in HMV for 9.99 which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

Well...if you like jazz guitar, you could sample some homegrown jazz talent...such as: Louis Stewart or Tommy Halftery. See this web site from the IMC to get hold of some of Tommy's stuff (at good prices) + some other Irish jazz....http://www.improvisedmusic.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Hugh Buckley would be worth checking out locally too.

Another Dublin performer to see if your interested in guitar would be Malcolm O'Brien. With the right band of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Concerto by Jim Hall which you should be able to pick up in one of the many mid price sales and Guitar Forms by Kenny Burrell which features backings arranged by Gil Evans which you will probably like if you like any of the stuff he did with Miiles Davis.

And that might lead you on to this overlooked masterpiece which still crops up from time to time - The Individualism of Gill Evans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

dub45 wrote:
    Concerto by Jim Hall which you should be able to pick up in one of the many mid price sales

The "title" track has to be one of the most mesmerising and beautiful pieces of music ever recorded....good recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

jwb1 wrote:
    Well...if you like jazz guitar, you could sample some homegrown jazz talent...such as: Louis Stewart or Tommy Halftery. See this web site from the IMC to get hold of some of Tommy's stuff (at good prices) + some other Irish jazz....http://www.improvisedmusic.ie/index.html

Tommy Halferty is a teacher at my former school, I'm thinking of getting lessons with him after the summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

CrazyTalk wrote:
    Tommy Halferty is a teacher at my former school, I'm thinking of getting lessons with him after the summer..

Well he is a LEGEND!!!

Also, in other news, check out Pat Metheny's solo album ( I can't remember the name of it) it's GREAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

not exactly jazz per se(falls into the fusion category i suppose), but you HAVE to check out Allan Holdsworth(especially if you are a guitarist!)

good starting points would be:
    The Sixteen Men Of Tain
    I.O.U
    All Night Wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

you MUST listen to Bireli Lagrene - he is just outstanding!!

Here Here, best guitarist out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

CrazyTalk wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sujre you get a lot of this on the Jazz/blues forum, but I'd like to get more into Jazz music, because a lot of what I've heard, wether it be from movies, radio, or this sickeningly talented guitarist I know, I really like.

What would be a good place to start, like bands, artists or compilations?, etc.

GIve me shout if your looking for some great Jazz Mp3 I can bur you a CD of my favourites:-

Dianna Krall
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Ella Fizgeral
    Blue Notes

More than happy to help you out !

My first Jazz CD was Miles DAvis :- Kinda BLue!

Advertisement