Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't decide

Options
  • 15-07-2005 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Have a bit of a hard choice facing me atm, was in a job for a 6 month contract after which I went on holiday for 3 months, came back & went on the job hunt again... after some time unemployed my old boss offered me a few weeks work to tide me over... and a couple of months later I'm still there with no immediate end in sight. Interesting job, informal, laid back, very diverse, flexible, time to fiddle with projects of my own choosing. Like any job it has its ups & downs but I'm familiar with it, i know the systems, i know the people.

Trouble is, one of the other jobs i applied for - Google - have decided (after ever such a long time) to throw an offer at me. A very good offer. Substantially higher salary + even more benefits, possibly not quite as diverse, regular travel to europe... Google!

If i was unemployed it would be like christmas, but I'm comfortable where i am so I'm kinda stuck on the fence... Google would be a really good opportunity but where I am is pretty high profile, I'm thinking that work for a big corp would be not quite as flexible, but damn are they generous!
    Feel guilty for considering abandoning my boss and the office crew but this is almost too good to pass up...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

If you're interested in a career, go with Google, I have numerous friends that work there. To be even offered a position is a verrrrrrrrrry good thing.
    Plus I hear that the place is a total joy to work for.
    Even if you don't like it, to have google on your CV will be pretty valuable, since a lot of other companies realise how chossy Google actually are when it comes to hiring.

I say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I'd take it. There is only way one way to find out if you'll enjoy it.
    And anyway, if its not the job for you, you could always talk to your current boss about comming back, since you seem to have a decent understanding of the business you currently work for and a good relationship with your boss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Definitely go for it... Its great being a big fish in a small pond, but to see if you can really cut it, you have to break into a big corp like google at some stage.

Apart from the obvious benefits of salary and travel etc, you will have a lot more opportunities for promotion. Every 6 months to 1 year these positions will arise.

Dont worry about your boss and crew. Dont kid yourself, every one of them would jump ship if an offer came along like this. Dont be too loyal for your own good.. There is being loyal to a good boss and then there is passing up opportunities like google.

You will regret it if you dont...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

eh go for it ,youd be mad not to go with the traveling,more money and lookingat cute airhostess all the time.lollifes to short just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I would probably go for Google myself.

When it comes to jobs, keep a couple of things in mind.

No matter how irreplacable you think you are, you are replaceable, we all are.
    When a good opportunity comes along you have to look at it as business. Business is business and if the boss you really like had to let you go he would, its a business decision. You have to try and apply some similar logic to a job offer even when you're in a job where you feel a lot of loyalty to your employer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Definitely go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You wouldnt have a pplied if you didnt want it, just comfyness is a killer in jobs. Tos for it tbh either way you will be kinda happy.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Don't be afraid of changes, they usually work out for the better....definetly take the job in google. More money and carreer prospects are all you need, and usually the work environment is very laid back in big multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go for google it should stand you good in the future, hey let them send you on some courses and quit in 2-3 years if you want. Offer to do some part-time stuff for your boss if you are both interested.

Advertisement