Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Useful is a Bipod?

Options
  • 15-07-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying bipod have a choice of either a 6-9" or a 13-23" i think the better option is the longer one because it will allow me to sit while shooting what i want to know is does anyone use them while out shooting rabbits/foxes or whatever or only for target shooting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

The bipod on the Bren or on the Jimpy is a god-send ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Not great for shooting rabbits unless you're on top of a hill looking down on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They certainly steady you up, though as already stated, they are only useful in certain situations.

You might also consider sandbags, if the position you shoot from is fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello psittacosis,
    Can I suggest that perhaps you might try something else ?
    I made a shooting stick type of thing that I saw on an american guys website.

It's pretty simple to make and is very good,
    all you need are two pieces of timber 3 feet long and 3/4 inch square( you may find, slightly longer or shorter suits you better),
    you drill a hole 4 inches down from the top through both sticks and you can put a bolt with a wing nut on it( so you can tighten it, without tools if needed).

Stick a piece of felt or something similar on the inside of the two top pieces where the rifle will sits when you open the legs,you can drill a hole in each leg in the base and drive in a two inch wire nail, that you have removed the head from with a hacksaw, head first then you have two spikes for added stability.

Make sure that you paint it with some dull paint of an appropriate colour, protim green wood presevative i used, it needs to be camoflaged, or it will look out of place from the targets point of view.

you can widen the angle of the legs to lower the height of the rest,it works really well and you can raise the height if needed by griping it in your weak hand and lifting then squeesing the legs together.

The great advantage of this, over a bipod is you can make it for nearly nothing, and it works, if you find it does not do what you want, you can always buy a bipod then.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

price doesnt really bother me to much i think ill buy one anyway if it turns out i dont like it i dont have to use it or i could just sell it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

That sounds like a great idea. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

I use a 12"-25" Harris pivot bipod on my Sako 75. An absolute must I think for deer shooting. When it comes to hunting live animals you need to be as steady as possible. I've yet to not make a kill by using a bipod. Although it does make the rifle very nose heavy. Also the 25" long is great for kneeling/sitting shots and/or shots over uneven ground or ground with flora in the way. The use of one for target shooting however is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

psittacosis: I have one of the long Harris pivoting bipods and I don't use it much.
    I'd sell it to you if you want - it's in perfect condition.
    It's the S-25C - would let it go for €150. As I said it's like new.
    Think I paid €200?????
    I'm in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I find it great as a rest for the rifle when taking a break - saves you putting the action directly on the ground or resting it against a tree trunk.

There are some good prices here
    www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RIBBBSHA&type=store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Thanks for the help i got it sorted i got a 9-13" bipod. Perfect for prone shooting and nice and light so i don't notice any difference while carrying the rifle around.

I paid €50 for it brand new off ebay it isn't made by harris but its an exact copy made by outers its the rockmount model. I cant notice any difference and its works perfect.

Heres a link to it
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52509&item=7169198531

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭daithi

I have that one meself, its pretty good, it does add to the weight to the front though, and after a year of use, the plastic padding has marked the wood a little. I bought it in a shop for about 50 - 55 euro i think. Fitting the shoulder strap to it is a bit messy i find.

Advertisement