Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving shooters a BAD name!

Options
  • 15-07-2005 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Folks,
    over the last week my job has taken me down around the southern counties of Tip,Clare,Kerry,Limerick.On numerous country roads our road signage has been shotgun blasted at close range.I estimate between 14 to 10 ft going by the pattern.Not only that the angles and number of signs hit on a road stretch would suggest somone sitting in a passenger seat of a car being driven by somone and them shooting the signs.No cartridge cases around either would suggest that they are policing their shells as well.
    Who the HELL are these IDIOTS?? :mad: :mad:
    We worry about images and posts and this that or the other,and there are cretins in our ranks of shooters[hopefully not on this board] who are out vandalising public property and also having a good chance of injuring or killing somone innocent!Can U imagine the publicity some accident like that will cause??
    Somtimes I think we really are our own worst enemy.
    I would be intrested to hear your opinions on how we should deal with this kind of reckless problem bad apples that are going to cause us much greif one day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Jesus, that's pretty bad. I can't think of any way ofpolicing it though. Seriously, what guard wants to go up against a chap with a shotgun? I know I wouldn't... Though it would serve the fools right if they came down the road and ran right into a garda Rapid Response Unit. Hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

It happens in Dundalk here aswell, pure muppets, I caught a young lad 18 Years old doing it one day and reported him to the guards and they did nothing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv seen this loads of times all over the county. Iv seen a few with fairly large cailber rifle round holes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I don't recollect seing it much here in Laois, though I have seen shot up signs occasionally around the country.
    Rew wrote:
    Iv seen a few with fairly large cailber rifle round holes as well.
    Years of extensive research with scrap cars and deceased computer chassis tells me that even the humble .22LR will make a decent hole in sheet metal. A high-velocity hollow point .22 is well capable of leaving a half inch hole behind it.
    Buckshot will leave goodly sized holes too.

I REALLY hope that the sort of idiot who gets their kicks out of shooting up road signs DOESN'T have access to centerfire rifles! :mad:

ps- my highly (un)scientific bullet penetration experiments were conducted on my own land, using my own scrap metal!
    Just thought I should mention that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

Rovi wrote:
    I don't recollect seing it much here in Laois, though I have seen shot up signs occasionally around the country.

Years of extensive research with scrap cars and deceased computer chassis tells me that even the humble .22LR will make a decent hole in sheet metal. A high-velocity hollow point .22 is well capable of leaving a half inch hole behind it.
    Buckshot will leave goodly sized holes too.

I REALLY hope that the sort of idiot who gets their kicks out of shooting up road signs DOESN'T have access to centerfire rifles! :mad:

ps- my highly (un)scientific bullet penetration experiments were conducted on my own land, using my own scrap metal!
    Just thought I should mention that :D

Funny, I see quite a lot of it in Laois and some of it is definitely centrefire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

MP wrote:
    Funny, I see quite a lot of it in Laois and some of it is definitely centrefire.
    Fair enough, I'll have to keep my eyes open a bit better I suppose.

I'm horrified that there are centerfire rifles being used for this vandalism! :mad:
    Whereabouts have you seen this?
    Is it up the mountains in the deer hunting areas, or somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

a .22 will tear metal as it passes through, leaving a fairly dramatic hole but a centrefire e.g. a .243, leaves a hole as if it was drilled, much neater.
    Anyway, 'down with this sort of thing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello All,
    I know what you all mean, about feeling that we are all affected by the actions of these idiots, but this is possibly because of our own feelings that if they are shooters, then idiots or not they are part of our ranks.

But those of us that drive do not feel responsible in the same way for the actions of idiot drivers,the people who do seventy miles an hour coming into the towns, or the bikers popping wheelies up the main street while half pissed, with no regard for familys and children walking around(whoa, he's so cool :rolleyes: ) around the country on the weekends, when most small Garda stations are closed.

we have to work passed this belief that we share responsibility.

That is not to say that responsible shooters, do not share a common path, just that we are not obliged, to take the idiots along with us.

If somebody is breaking the law, they are responsible for their own actions, and the Garda are responsible for bringing them to justice.

Dvs.

Advertisement