Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Mortgages

Options
  • 15-07-2005 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum or what.

I just read in the paper about 100% mortgages for first time buyers (http://www.mortgages.ie/100mortgages.cfm)

I was wondering, could I use this to buy a property, sit on it and sell it a year later at a profit?

I'm totally clueless here, so if there's something obvious I'm missing then let me know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Enygma wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum or what.

I just read in the paper about 100% mortgages for first time buyers (http://www.mortgages.ie/100mortgages.cfm)

I was wondering, could I use this to buy a property, sit on it and sell it a year later at a profit?

I'm totally clueless here, so if there's something obvious I'm missing then let me know

If the property is not going to be your main residence, then when you sell it you will have to pay 20% Capital Gains Tax on any profit you make.. Also you are presuming property prices are never going to drop, it is unlikely to happen in the next year, but the possibility is there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Yes of course prices could drop alright. If I lived in the house would I have to pay CGT when I sold it on?

What costs are involved with selling a property?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, to get in and get out of a property, you have surveyors' reports, solicitors fees, searches, stamp duty, bridging, moving in, maintenance, renovation, moving out, real estate agents' fees, more solicitors fees, mortage-breaking fees, moving out, VAT on fees. You also have to pay interest in the intervening period. All in all, you probably need a 15 percent lift at a bare minimum just to get your investment in moving expenses back.

Property is still a good investment, and some property will likely make further significant jumps in value. (That's just a view, of course.) The problem is to find available property which is going to have a jump in value in the short-term. Possible, if you really know your property, but definitely not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Repli wrote:
    If the property is not going to be your main residence, then when you sell it you will have to pay 20% Capital Gains Tax on any profit you make..

Not if he only has it for 1 year - the final year before selling the property is automatically counted as a period of residence, regardless of where you live at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

^ yeah actually just found that out the other day.

Enygma if its your primary residence, no you don't pay CGT. If its a secondary (investment) property yes, after the first year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the price will drop in money terms. Everything I've read on housing bubbles and their bursting seems to indicate that what happens is that housing prices slow down and increase at a rate less than that of inflation, thus making their real value drop. The actual price doesn't, but meh, I'm no expert in this so don't take anything I say as gospel or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

nesf wrote:
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that the price will drop in money terms. Everything I've read on housing bubbles and their bursting seems to indicate that what happens is that housing prices slow down and increase at a rate less than that of inflation, thus making their real value drop. The actual price doesn't, but meh, I'm no expert in this so don't take anything I say as gospel or anything.

Actually that is what appears to be happening at the moment. (And it happened in the 1980s too, but nobody talked about it).

But its still no guarantee that some properties in overdeveloped or structurally unattractive areas will not drop in actual figures - that can still happen, though it is less likely to.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

shoegirl wrote:
    But its still no guarantee that some properties in overdeveloped or structurally unattractive areas will not drop in actual figures - that can still happen, though it is less likely to.

Well it's only a very very slight drop, but houses in the dublin commuter belt dropped 0.1% by the most recent measure.

Advertisement