Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat's Claws

Options
  • 15-07-2005 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

OK, I'm looking for some info or opinions on removing a cats claws? What is the general feeling about it? We have a kitten (almost cat, I suppose!) who is quite active with her claws. Not only does she tear threads out of our clothes but she climbs trees and can't get back down and needs to be rescued. We are moving into a house with new carpets curtains etc and I don't want them to be destroyed. Don't get me wrong I love the little thing to bits and we look after her very well, but I don't want our new furniture to be torn! Someone suggested removing her claws. What I'd like to know is:

Is there a need to get her claws removed, or will she grow out of it eventually?

Is removing claws cruel?

If so, is there an alternative?

As you can see, I don't know much about cats! Any relevant help would be appreciated!

Edit: I've just looked it up and it actually seems cruel... So its a question of alternatives...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It is cruel, just like docking tails etc.
    Cats scratch that's what they do, you can however get things to put on their nails, like a sheath. I think Hadook has them she might be able to fill you in better.
    Does that cat have scratching posts around the house? If not she will definetly scratch new furniture etc when you move.

Don't forget to keep the cat indoors for at least 3 weeks after moving.

There are loads of fun scratchers out there, some with cat nip to encourage them, there's ones to hang on walls etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

if you are going to take your cats claws off you would have to keep it in the house all the time and not let it out as your cat would be then at the mercy of everything that it came in contact with including other cats.

try these

http://www.softpaws.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

In my opinion, removing a cat's claws is cruel and I would have serious doubts about any vet that would agree to do it. Without it's claws, a cat is practically helpless. Yeah it's annoying when cats scratch things they're not supposed to, but all animals have their bad points and it's surprising what a nice catnip-scented scratching post can do! If there's sheaths or whatever you can put on her claws, go for them, but having her claws removed would be extremely inhumane.

Let us know how you get on!

Nala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Removing a cats claws is like removing your fingers ! I would hope that no vet in Ireland would even consider such an operation - even in the States where this fad originated it is now pretty much frowned upon.

To distract your cat from the furniture you should purchase a large scratching post, the floor to ceiling ones are especially good.

The best way to stop your kitten getting stuck in trees is to keep it indoors !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Little Goose

Thanks for all your feedback guys. When I posted earlier, I dodn't realise what was involved. Now that I do know, there is no way we're doing that. I've never heard of the sheaths for putting on their claws. Forgive my ignorance, but what are they?!? We have a scratching post but not a good one. We'll have to invest in some! Again, thank you. You saved a poor kitty from a terrible fate! :) Also, I don't like the idea of keeping her indoors all the time so will these sheath things prevent her from climbing trees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

i think having a pet is like having a small child as far as minor domestic destruction is concerned :P but cats can learn to use scratching posts (tho it's hardly easy to train a cat) and if they're outside a lot they'll do most of the scratching there. as far as climbing trees is concerned, our cat used to get stuck up trees, then one time my sister climbed up after her & showed her branch-by-branch how to get down - she never got stuck again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

think having a pet is like having a small child as far as minor domestic destruction is concerned
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

they are basically like false nails you clip the cats claws before you put them on then glue them to their own nail. They only last about 6 weeks as they grow out as your cats claws grow. But it is most definitely a better option then getting them declawed. I don't know of any vet that does it but I am sure there are a few that do. Basically they break the cats toe and remove the top piece of it.....not something I would want to put my lot through. Read through the link to the website I posted will give you all the information. This is the site I ordered mine from Hadook gave it to me she has pictures of her cats with them on, she got lovely coloured ones :rolleyes: I just got plain boring clear ones :D

Advertisement