Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing Question

Options
  • 14-07-2005 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello All
    Heres the question
    Putting a roof on my self build.
    40 degree pitch
    On the front of the house is a bay window.
    We have steel lintels (in the shape of the bay)with blockwork over with a 300mm closer block on top.The 3" wall plate goes around the bay.It is 2 1/2" in from the face.
    All the common rafters are in place along the front.
    We are a bit flumoxed as to where the small hip which is next to the valley should go.In its obvious place the hip runs into the valley.
    This looks difficult to tile and it looks wrong on houses I have seen with this.
    How can we build this bloody thing with the hip going all the way to the eaves?
    Kadman will understand the question
    Yours optomistically
    Borris

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Jaysus Borris, the questions dont come any trickier than yours. :eek:

You definitely make us wear the thinking caps, on these ones. :D

What Rookad thinks......and what is reality on this one, may end up as long shots. But Rooferpete and kadman will , no doubt give it a go.

You are going to have to answer the query list first though.

Is your main roof 40 degree pitch.

Is the bay roof wallplate at the same level as the main roof wallplate.

Does your main roof common rafters extend beyond your main wallplate, and go beyond the main house wall, until it meets the front bay section wallplate,

or,

Does the bay have its own common rafters, that run up to two short hips, and do these hips join onto a short ridge that runs back into the roof, at 90 degrees from the front section of the bay in plan.

Is your bay correctly struck out, in either a ( semi ) hexagonal arrangement, or a ( semi ) octagonal arrangement. And I do mean properly.

May be the other roof bays look crap because the bay plan is incorrect.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 siding

Do you have problems with roofing or you are looking for new one? philadelphia roofing contractor may help you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Borris,

I expect you have this covered by now but just in case......

I think I of know the problem you are referring to, it can look well if using slate but chunky concrete tiles can lose part of the first hip due to their size, perhaps you might consider using a smaller tile like 10" x 6" rosemary in either concrete or clay and have the bay stand out as a feature ?

Advertisement