Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anybody know what ADSL hardware eircom will provide

Options
  • 18-06-2001 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

and if you will have to use their hardware.

now judgeing by eircoms usual standards im sure their adsl modems and harddware are top of the line wink.gif

my problem is ill want to set up a small network, have two pcs and maybe a printer shared,
    but im sure that eircom will force me to buy an ip for each PC.
    being able to install and set up my own hardware would solve that problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

I have no idea what equipment Eircom will use (if indeed they offer some service). But you can always implement NAT (Network Address Translation) on the PC connected to to the DSL modem. This allows several PCs to appear as a single IP as far as the ISP is concerned. There are some restrictions, but for general use (web browsing, FTP from most clients), there should be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    But you can always implement NAT (Network Address Translation)
    [...]
    There are some restrictions, but for general use (web browsing, FTP from most clients), there should be no problem.
    </font>

Yeah, a lot of companies use nat for their office, works fine. The only thing is the likes of games, if you want 2 people inside
    to talk to the same server outside.
    You need to be a bit clever with your rules.
    Or indeed you could use PAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

well the setting up of a little network has alot more plus's to it,
    on top of that id be adding a hardware firewall to the network.the only real way you can be safe these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

ipv6 tunneling is another solution to multiple computers in a house.

if eircoms upstream provider upgrade their routers to ipv6, eircom might implement it in their own systems. that would mean each adsl connection gets a range of ip addresses (what is it 255? 65k? 16m?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acous:
    ipv6 tunneling is another solution to multiple computers in a house.

if eircoms upstream provider upgrade their routers to ipv6, eircom might implement it in their own systems. that would mean each adsl connection gets a range of ip addresses (what is it 255? 65k? 16m?)
    </font>

Eircom have a IPv6 in IPv4 connection to UUNet in the UK already, but I doubt they'll release it to customers for another 20 to 30 years smile.gif

http://www.cs-ipv6.lancs.ac.uk/ipv6/6Bone/Whois/EIRCOM.html

• Advertisement

20 - 30 years, i can hardly wait

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

ipv6 in ipv4, not a direct ipv6 connection.

im not naming names but i was talkign to a guy off this board,
    he claimed to have been a beta adsl tester.
    anyway he said we were likely to get a ethernet/adsl combo card. for home users.
    ive actually seen these in place before, and they would be in keeping with eircoms style.

as you can imagine im not over the moon at the thought of sticking an internal resource hog in my pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Judging from what Eircom have been using here in Ennis, you will probably end up with an Alcatel Speedtouch Pro or Home device.
    Easy to use (if you know how...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acous:
    ipv6 in ipv4, not a direct ipv6 connection.</font>

There's no pure ipv6 connection leaving the country at the moment according to this site:

http://www.cs-ipv6.lancs.ac.uk/ipv6/6Bone/Whois/bycountry.html#IE

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mayhem#:
    Judging from what Eircom have been using here in Ennis, you will probably end up with an Alcatel Speedtouch Pro or Home device.
    Easy to use (if you know how...)
    </font>
    have you anylinks to info about those products

You could have a look at:http://www4.alcatel.com/products/productsbyfamily.jhtml;$sessionid$HKPRC5QAAF1N3QCLC3GJPQUKPBUT5F5K?industryCategory=DSL+modems&amp;_D:industryCategory=+&amp;/alcatel/emk/opg/ OPGUser.opgProductRegion=ALL&_D%3A%2Falcatel%2Femk%2Fopg%2FOPGUser.opgProductRegion=+&_DARGS=%2Fproducts%2Finclude%2Fdropdowns.jhtml.1

Baaah, that looks like ****e!
    Just goto www.alcatel.com and have a root around....

[This message has been edited by mayhem# (edited 19-06-2001).]

Advertisement