Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Anka's little experiment

Options
  • 14-07-2005 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

So there I was on my way to lunch this afternoon when a song came on TodayFM. It was a nice little jazzy number, and I was tapping my foot away when it dawned on me that I had heard it before in a very different guise. A quick Google (I missed the end of it) told me that the singer was one Paul Anka, and the song was Survivor's Eye of the Tiger. And it was really, really good.

It turns out that its one of the tracks from an album just out in the States, called Rock Swings. Also included are jazzed up, swinging versions of It's My Life, Wonderwall, Everybody Hurts, and Smells Like Teen Spirit. This is one album that has to be heard to be believed! I for one will be getting my hands on this.

Sample links: iTunes ¦ Amazon.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Heard it too, thought it was soulless gick tbh.

Does nobody remember Mike Flowers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Doctor J wrote:
    Heard it too, thought it was soulless gick tbh.

Fair enough. I don't know a lot of the genre, except that in general I like what I have heard, including this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Mike 'Fuc*ing' Flowers.

Anka should be hung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yeah, that kinda stuff sucks ass tbh, The Bad Plus have a version of Teen Spirit which is decent enough, but nothing i'd be into.

A Jazz musician however who CAN do good versions of tunes is Brad Mehldau, he has done versions of Paranoid Anderoid and Exit Music by Radiohead and they're both amazing!

Fusion
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JoeQ

Fusion251 wrote:
    Yeah, that kinda stuff sucks ass tbh, The Bad Plus have a version of Teen Spirit which is decent enough, but nothing i'd be into.

A Jazz musician however who CAN do good versions of tunes is Brad Mehldau, he has done versions of Paranoid Anderoid and Exit Music by Radiohead and they're both amazing!

Fusion
    :cool:

I think i heard this, solo piano performance right? amazing stuff.
    For lousy covers of 'smells like teen spirit' check out tori amos's version, histerical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fudd

Agreed! Mehldau is a genius. Plays some amazing covers like Blackbird on "Art of The Trio"

Well worth a listen.
    His improv' is something else too. if you haven't heard i suggest buying an album cos it's well worth the money

Advertisement