Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird hub probs

Options
  • 19-06-2001 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

OK the deal is that basically we have 2 hubs. a 3com 24 port and an unknown 8 port.

The hubs are connected via an uplink running from the 8 to the 24 port. Now we have less than 24 sockets being used, so i wanted to move everything onto the 24 port. no prob, just switch em over.

However 1 machine will work on the 8 port but not the 24 port. both are 10/100 hubs, with nearly all machines except the troublesome one ( IBM RS/6000) being 100MB. Now i know that this isn't the problem, cause my laptop is using a 10MB card and works fine on the 24 port...

Anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'd imagine the card in the IBM/RS6000 is incompatable with the 24 port hub. The smaller 8 way is prolly newer, and has intelligent switching as a feature. It therefore knows that the card (probably an older one) in the IBM machine is running at 10Megs, and accomodates it. The Larger hub won't. Get a 100Meg card for the IBM, they're quite cheap these days. I've seen this before and actually fixed it with a driver upgrade to the card, but that won't always work.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.
    Mail: jaden@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thanks for the reply.
    But ( as i thought i said above ) the 24 port is able to handle 10 or 100. I have a 10 card going into it working fine.

The 8 port is a dual speed one alright. But as you say, I'll have a look at getting the newer card.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Is the 3com a hub or a managed switch ?
    I have come across some hardware that just doesn't like auto negosiation, so if you can
    configure the ecom, you might try setting it to 10M and toggle half/full duplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I agree with Jaden. Also check what speed the card is set to in it's driver. The default is usually Auto so trying messing around with that.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

Advertisement