Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking different os's

Options
  • 17-06-2001 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of setting up a small (3-4 machines) network at home. Now this is normally straightforward but I dont know how well it is going to work since each machine is running a different os:

* 1 running Win2k workstation
    * 1 running WinNT
    * 1 running Linux
    * 1 running Win95 (this one's a laptop)

Will there be compatibility problems? (I know the Linux box will not be straightforward to network). I've heard that Win2k can cause difficulties in a network with differing os's.

So any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

You may have a problem with the Win2k and 95 boxes, If you want the 95 box to have access to the 2k box. You will have to make an account on the 2k box with the same log on and pass as the 95 one.

ie: windows 95 log on = Hecate
    password = ACID

you will need to make the same account on the 2k box.

you may have to do this for the NT comp as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

I recently had to connect a Win98 laptop to a NT4 server. One of the problems was that share names with a space in them would not appear in the laptop's network neighbourhood. This was got around by creating extra shares with no spaces in them pointing to the same directory. The other thing was getting the login set up correctly. Apart from that, no problems.

All the operating systems mentioned in the topic will talk to each other. Linux will have a learning curve if you're not experienced but may make the best server if you decide to designate one. Samba installed on Linux makes a good file server for windows style networking.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 17-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum28/HTML/000005.html

(fairly similar)

Once you have the PCs connected and have assigned them IP addresses put them in the same workgroup and set up a username and password on the Winnt box and use that for the other PCs to logon.

http://www.lfchosting.com/helmig/j_helmig/nt4frw95.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Or you could just setup a domain.........DOH!!! biggrin.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sutty:
    Or you could just setup a domain.........DOH!!! biggrin.gif

</font>

Not with NT workstation rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:

Will there be compatibility problems? (I know the Linux box will not be straightforward to network). I've heard that Win2k can cause difficulties in a network with differing os's.
    </font>

Depends on your definition of networking smile.gif
    Other people have been talking about SMB stuff, network logins and the like...
    Which can be rather tricky with multiple OSes, though not impossible smile.gif

On the otherhand, if you mean networking in the straight setworking sence, all the OSes talk TCP/IP so there won't really be any problems there smile.gif

hmm... I had a point.... dang my sponge brain... frown.gif

Advertisement