Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderated .223

Options
  • 13-07-2005 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

All,

I like to hear from anyone using a moderated centrefire .223. Is the moderator really affective?

I am looking at replacing both a .22lr and a fullbore with one rifle, and I like the idea of the new Tikka 223 tactical, as it comes threaded for moderator...

thanks,

mikeys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Are you referring to the .223 Remington (which by the way is basically the standard 5.56x45mm round for which M16 series, AR10 series, M4 Carbines, Steyr AUGs, FAMAS etc. are chambered.) round? You mean that your Centrefire was moderated for this ammunition? I don't quite understand your question tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mikeys

Belial,

My question is regarding the affectiveness of a suitable moderator in reducing the blast of a centrefire .22 cartridge. I am aware that we are talking about the basic 5.56 mm cartridge, however they are selling like hotcakes in my part of the country, as they are licensed as .22s, and ammo is cheap for centrefire...

thanks,

mikeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mikeys

Belial,

TBH I find the Elmo logo on your post a tad offensive. It is in my opinion a bit much and bad press for sensible shooters. What message are you trying to send? We have a hard enough time as it is, without further pressure from those who pick up negative aspects to shooters in this country.

Dont be offended, and I am not trying to be politically correct, it is simply a bit too gung-ho. Maybe it's fine on an american right-wing/neo-con forum, but not here, where I think we all have a few more brains, and are less war-like.

For the record I have much the same experience as you in terms of FCA etc,but I am just being careful to protect the image of shooters as responsible people.

Please dont take offence...

mikeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sakofan

mikeys,

I have seen and heard a moderated .223 at the midlands over a year ago. It sounded to me like an ordinary 22, firing 22 high velocity, and more importantly it did not raise much dust, so blast was reduced.

hope this is of use to you...

I agee with you on the Walter Mitty aspect to the auld logos/avatars in use by some forum members...

This is an irish site, unique in this country for shooters, so it should not tolerate things we normally associate with the nuttier US elements.

Any opinions Sparks, as a moderator?

sakofan

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Out of curiosity, why would you want to moderate a .223? surely a supersonic bullet going 3000fps would make most of the noise.
    The Tikka is a really nice rifle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Far be it from me to speak for Sparks, but ffs lads, lighten up willye. Incidentally, the comments regarding the avatar are off topic for this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

After seven years teaching students sako, I've developed a bit of a blind eye to their sense of humour :D Besides, I had to go looking for that image, and I've seen far worse on the walls of shooting clubs in Ireland!

Back on topic; SoB, don't confuse the .223 Remington and the 5.56 NATO calibres, they're not the same and shouldn't be interchanged. A rifle designed for one may not operate correctly if loaded with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Mickeys,
    You say .223s are getting licenced like hot cakes in your area.
    Im in Co.Roscommon and have been refused a .223 on the grounds of it being a millitary round. :rolleyes:
    What area are you in?
    I think it seems to depend in what area you are in.
    I wanted to change from a .22 Hornet to a .223 and got a lot of hassel then was eventually refused :confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

mikeys wrote:
    Belial,

TBH I find the Elmo logo on your post a tad offensive. It is in my opinion a bit much and bad press for sensible shooters. What message are you trying to send? We have a hard enough time as it is, without further pressure from those who pick up negative aspects to shooters in this country.

Dont be offended, and I am not trying to be politically correct, it is simply a bit too gung-ho. Maybe it's fine on an american right-wing/neo-con forum, but not here, where I think we all have a few more brains, and are less war-like.

For the record I have much the same experience as you in terms of FCA etc,but I am just being careful to protect the image of shooters as responsible people.

Please dont take offence...

mikeys
    Em... Well the Elmo signature is on all my posts on all forums. I think you're being a little too sensitive. I wouldn't see myself as "gung-ho" at all, also you'd do well to notice that Elmo has a knife. If he had a gun then it'd be a different kettle of fish. It's supposed to be funny/ironic. I'll disable the signature for this thread, but I don't quite see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Mick, I had a very enjoyable evening shooting Bunnies with a MODERATED .223 , we had .22 in the crew the same evening, the .223 was a joy to shoot same report as the .22, go for it you will not be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Easter Cancelled
    8vx16h.jpg

headline: Meath Chronicle, 03/05
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

With sound effects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Are you referring to the .223 Remington (which by the way is basically the standard 5.56x45mm round for which M16 series, AR10 series, M4 Carbines, Steyr AUGs, FAMAS etc. are chambered.) round?

Err not quite.the AR10 NEVER was a 5.56 system.It was/is a .308 and was the grandfather of the AR15 systems.Eugene Stoner had developed it as a replacement for the M14,but was too late with it and the US armed forces was going to the 5.56 system,so Stoner re desinged it for the smaller cartridge.
    NEVER use a 5.56 in a 223 rifle.The tolerances at the shoulder are just out a tiny bit to cause disasterous back pressure.You CAN use a 223 in a 5.56 chamberd rifle.

As for us being a "right wing US neocon opinion warlike attitude "whatever site.Folks relax!! we are nowhere near that on this board.Since when is talking about guns warlike??
    Dont remember anyone suggesting that "we nuke their ass ,and take their gas" posts here.
    Word to the wise some of us here are "brainless Americans" and half Irish and are damn proud of it!! :D If some anti nut is going to pick faults with us there is nothing we can do about it.Wether he have innocent little cuddly avatars or big nasty ones it is irrevelant,we discuss somthing they dont like anyway,Guns and related.It is time anyway that we start to come out of the closet here in Ireland about shooting anyway INMHO.
    Ok rant over!

To silence the .223/5.56 you will first need subsonic ammo,so either reload,[difficult?] or buy such ammo,[pretty difficult].Depending on what type of can you have on the rifle,and wether it is set up to use full power ammo or just subsonic loads.Plus the size of such a can[estimate appx 3ftX2.5in dia] hung on the end of your muzzle is going to make it an awkward gun.Now you are into either intregrating the can into the rifle barrel[very effective and expensive] or shortning the barrel and screwing the can on there.
    Also what are you going to use it for?If it is for hunting the animal isnt going to be too concerned where the noise came from as it will take flight,nor will it be too woried about you giving your position away with a dust signature.
    If it is in a police/military situation ,a different story altogether.And hopefully not one you would be asking about :D

You will now have a suppressed weapon around the shooters immediate front&sides.You will not have dealt with the supersonic crack of the round passing objects on its way to the target.Thus spooking your game anyway.
    Also there is the related hassle of owning a "silencer"here with your cheif super having to grant permission etc,for a hunting/ target range situation here you would be just better off using subsonic ammo,and having pretty much the same effect.
    BTW isnt Tikka out of busisness??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

BTW isnt Tikka out of busisness??

No, now owned by the Beretta group, along with Sako.

Advertisement