Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads Networking question??

Options
  • 15-06-2001 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Say a load of my friends came to my house and brought there pcs .. how would i connect them all so we could play CS and other games over a network? what hard ware would i Need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

A hub and standard rj45 or if the cards use coaxial.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Co-ax is nly really good for two to 3 pcs.
    It also can't work for full-duplex connections.
    whereas a hub can
    geta 100MBit setup straight off, and a 10MBit hub if u can'r find a cheap or second hand 100MBit hub. 100MBit are ahndy for bringing to lan events.
    U could try messing around with DCHP and stufffor TCP/IP stuff, but I prefer to do it manually, through the Network NeighBouthodd properties. Also, install File and Printer Sharing if u intend to swap any files accross it. Install windows Logon too. And always logon to it for lan games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

Ns pic biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

If u have rj45 plugs and a hub I can lend u some cable. I would need it back tho, I am allways useing it for lans and stuff but I'll lend it to ya man

Snowball.

Buses are sociable vehicals, thats why they come in twoes and threes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

cheers snowball.. but i have really no idea what ye are talking about.. what kind of network cards would i need to install into each pc aboout howmuch and what hub where when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

moved to Networks board... so it can get some threads going...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Networking with 10baseT.

What you need:
    1. Hub: A box into which several cat5 cables are plugged. These are available in 4, 8, 16 etc. port versions. ~ £60.
    2. Network Cards: These are fairly standard these days. Two types: 100 and 10 Mb/s. 100 Mb/s cards will drop down to 10 Mb/s if mixed with 10 Mb/s equipment. ~ £15 to £30.
    3. Cat5 cable: Category 5 cable. This should have connectors similar to phone plugs (but larger) at each end. It goes between the network card and the hub.
    Assuming you want a small TCP/IP network for gaming:
    1. Set the workgroup of each computer to the same name.
    2. Set the subnet mask of each computer to 255.255.255.0
    3. Set the ip address of each computer to a different address. E.g. 100.100.100.1, 100.100.100.2 etc. (There is a range of numbers reserved for internal networking but I can't remember it).
    4. Connect all the computers together and see if you can ping one computer from another.
    5. File and printer sharing can be enabled if this is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

this is a great web site for getting started with networking
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

I would recommend a 10/100 hub, or if you want to pay a bit extra then go a switch, Scan do offers on them regularly at
    http://www.todayonly.co.uk, about £50 for a 10/100 switch.

Anyway have phun.

[This message has been edited by Zee Dude (edited 16-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    Set the ip address of each computer to a different address. E.g. 100.100.100.1, 100.100.100.2 etc. (There is a range of numbers reserved for internal networking but I can't remember it)</font>

The most common one is 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 but you could use 172.22.0.0 255.255.0.0 if you need more addresses.

Have a look at http://www.helmig.com for information on networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 is the networking standard, but you can use what ever you want as long as your network is not going to be connected to the Internet. But you have to make sure that if you are going to setup a network that you all use the same range. ie: if you use 192.168.0.1 and your mate is on 192.168.1.1, you wont be able to see each other, so make sure your all on something like 192.168.0.xxx (xxx being a number from 1 to 254) if you are going to be using a server for games its best(just for ease of memory) to use it as 192.168.0.1

If you do ever use a DHCP server (this is a more Advanced form of Networking IP address) then to start off use win2k pro as it can do a very basic from of it. That is very easy to setup.

As for your Hardware, Skeptic1 ones post is all that you would need, for the moment. When your seting the TCP/IP settings on the computer you dont have to do much, just the IP address and the subnet mask. The work group is not all the important. If you want to share files, dont do it when games are on as over a HUB it will case lag and Packet loss. You may want to look into getting a cross over cable. its the same as a Cat5 with RJ45 connects, but for one thing, two of the wires are crossed over at one end. This will allow you to connect two computers together and share files with each other (at the speed of the slowest of the two cards)

GL in the LAN

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

if yer gonna shell out £50 or whatever, get a switch instead of a hub.

a hub sends each packet to every port, so your 100mbits is shared between every machine connected. a switch sends it to the port its destined for, so you get the full speed for each port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acous:
    if yer gonna shell out £50 or whatever, get a switch instead of a hub.
    B]</font>

It's only for CS though and that needs about 2KBps smile.gif

A cheap and nasty hub would do the job. Have a look on dabs.com, they have an 8 port 10/100 Bay Netgear hub for £35 sterling. They also have 10/100 Netgear NICs for £15 sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Switch Vs. Hub
    The advantage of a switch over a hub is that each node on a switch has its own collision domain whereas all nodes on a hub share the same collision domain. Unless you are connecting 25+ PCs though a hub should be more than adequate.

Advertisement