Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i need a large vivarium??

Options
  • 13-07-2005 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

bought an iguana, which is growing quickly, and wondering where i can get a large home for him.
    I have a 3ft viviarium but he is nearly the length of it. I've been searching and can only find 4ft tanks which are only 1.5ft wide and 2ft high. I'm hoping to get something bigger.
    i might have to build it but just wondering if anyone knows where i could buy one.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Make one.The one below cost me 70 euros + a bit of time.

If you need advice/measurements/where to buy info/ just PM me and Ill give you all the details.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=255231&highlight=cage

Hope this helps
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

From my experience of buying tanks (although not for reptiles) is that if you keep buying one size up you end up wasting money, you are better off making or buying one very large one that should do the animal for life, it will save you a fortune.

I'm not well up on iguana husbandry but I can imagine they need a lot of space, certainly 4 feet woudln't do, I have a few gerbils in a 4 feet tank and it's still not big enough for them so they will be eventually up graded again which as I said ends up costing you more in the long run.

That link on how to build your own is pretty nifty and works out so much cheaper too, you could change the size to make it larger.

Interested to know how large do Iguanas kept as pets grow to if fed and housed correctly? Could give you a better idea of what size vivarium he'd need then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That link on how to build your own is pretty nifty and works out so much cheaper too, you could change the size to make it larger.

That link is actually a pic of my tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Iggies can get to 6 feet with the tail. My guys are in a 10ft long 4 foot wide 10ft high viv & they dont use half of it. They do need at least 6 foot long but hight seems to be preferential. My 2 will be moving to a slightly smaller viv in length in my hall as I want to put a fireplace in my front room. When I got my first Ig she was in a 3 foot glass viv with a 150watt bulb - she was 3 foot in length including the tail & had a large burn on her back - she has since doubled in size & is ultra tetchy! My other Igggy is about 5 foot & is not gonna be as big as the girly she is a monster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

In the wild they spend more time climbing trees than on the ground so height is vital.

Also, most people forget that igs can (and often love to :) ), swim. So thats also a consideration, I used to just leave a basin (kitchen type) in for 2 days a week and she LOVED it :)

Also, please remember that contrary to popular belief, they are NOT vegaterians! A healthy ig NEEDS insects in its diet.

b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 soularnights

Thanks for the advice, i'll try building something, although i'm not a great DIY man.
    Not sure about feeding my ig insects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

If you had a 3ft ig in a 3 ft vivarium do you let them run around the house for exercise?? Or what do they do for exercise???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

In the wild they spend more time climbing trees than on the ground so height is vital.

Also, most people forget that igs can (and often love to :) ), swim. So thats also a consideration, I used to just leave a basin (kitchen type) in for 2 days a week and she LOVED it :)

Also, please remember that contrary to popular belief, they are NOT vegaterians! A healthy ig NEEDS insects in its diet.

b

Sorry, there should have been an IMHO in there lol ;)

Well, dont worry, meat protein in the igs diet is a controversial issue, each owner needs to research and come to their own decision, some say def yes, some say no.

Either way you would only be talking a very small amount, somthing like one cricket a month was what mine thrived on. Most importantly tho, if it hasnt been eaten in 10mins take it out, those are the only live food to be given as anything else can be contaminated, and NEVER give an ig mealworms.

Mine seemed to "enjoy the chase!" of insect more than the actual food aspect, nutrient wise, you could achieve the same by giving a thumbnail sized (NO BIGGER) piece of a cheese slice monthly.

Oh, and if your building a cage, its not as hard as you may think, this site is great for ideas -> cages

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

I was talking to a guy from galway bay the other day, he said that the aquarium there was throwing out tanks because of refurbishment,I assume it was the one on the galway bay itself.
    I wonder if you could contact them & see if they still have any, Might solve your problem. Yo

Advertisement