Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age of empires

Options
  • 18-08-2001 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

I have recently heard arguements over which is better aoe2,c&c series or total annihaltion.I said aoe2 because it has a very innovative system with its resource manegment, and its great building system(i know ta has something similar but its not as good and a cloud of green smoke doesnt look as good as the villagers in aoe2 . It gives you a reason to pick differnet civs and the other games give you a maximum of 3 sides compared to aoe's many its like 15 isnt it

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

i meant to say what does everyone else think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

There is one big thing I hate about AOE2
    It takes a LONG time to destroy all of the enemys buildings etc.
    with is annoying..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Oj.I know it may b annoying,but if u have 2men with swords it would take ages 2 destroy a whole barrack.
    But i think AoE2 by miles.
    Its a more tactical game cos of squads that move in formation and a population limit stops u building 300men and marching in.
    AoE2 0wnz j00.great fun on LAN aswell.

also,get conquerors,it 0WNZ so much smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yah AOE2 is good fun... a 4-hour game flys by like 20mins, which is pretty scarey tongue.gif
    Played an internet game with a few clan-m8's about two months ago, it works well enough over a modem.
    Maybe we should organize a boards war in AOE2? Get someone with a phat connection to host the game and get about 10 people to join > smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 20-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    ? Get someone with a phat connection to host the game and get about 10 people to join > smile.gif

</font>

8 is the max i think? Sounds like fun anyway, put my name down for it smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'd play as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I too wish to subscribe to this event.
    Get 8 definates and pick a time.
    I've hosted games on 56k before and there was no probs. I can do it on 128k isdn if that suits.

Id wuv 2 play but i disconnect after 2hours so i cant frown.gif
    bloody flat rate ISP's wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

8 players run like treakle through tar on anything but the best connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

hi guys... ive played aok the conquerors online at www.zone.com for many years now ive played it competatively against people from all over the world and would recommend you try it. if u have any questions about it please email me ... it is a fantastic experience to play online for more info about it and expert recorded games go here www.rtscentral.com go to the aok main forum and saved games discussion forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

As much as I love AoE, C&C is the fav only cos I'm more into tanks, armor etc than cavalry.

I find in AoE I can wall myself in and spend hours building resources for one big push.

C&C you dont have that luxury. It's more rush rush.

Here's hoping that Generals is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

oldposts.jpg

Was about to say the same bullman, Ishindar ressurected a thread that was dead for over a year :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

hey Ishindar, whats your zone nick? I play as OneEye_Max, we should play sometime, what maps do you like? I am a BF player, but I can do Arabia np too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AOE2 is scarily addictive. Sit down for a quick game and five or six hours go by without noticing it. I haven't played any im about a month but I must get back into it.

Civ3 is the kind of game I generally play late at night. AOE is a nice game to play of an afternoon or early evening.

Well better than Civ3 (though I do so like that too) and better than pretenders like Empire Earth (which I also have a penchant for, purely because the battles make more sense to me)

I've never played it online (playing MS golf on the zone has been my only foray into online gaming) but from what I hear it's quite an experience.

hi brian, my zone names are Ishindar, _UKAK_Ishindar_, _Sorcer0r_, Brian_B0ru, _UKAK_Ganji and many many more, i play Random map and arabia mostly, i used to play very competatively but last year and a 1/2 i play for fun only, my skill level is 1900+ on rm and arab when im playing to win. i dont usually play bf but of course i have done, i find it a bit frustrating hehe. i would be able to get 2k at it if i put a bit of effort in, give me a shout if u see me or ill give u a shout .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Total Annihilation is 5 years old today. It was released on Sep30th 1997. I've played tons of games since and even the latest ones like WarCraft3 have the same old play mechanics. Even though TA looks a bit dated nowadays it really tore apart the rulebook and I've rarely enjoyed another RTS since. To me nowadays it's all rock, paper, sizzors and lots of archaic resource gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'd play too, what versions are yee running on, get 1.0c, it's makes the likes of running farms easier and those damn koreans are take down a peg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

AOE2: The Conquerors

Tis better that Total Annihalation, certainly. But I don't play either of them much nowadays, I'm playing Alpha Centauri, a much more deep (read: geeky), intricate (read: geeky) game.

I've never played C&C so I wouldn't know about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Wil AOE2 run on a w2k server?

(me getting ideas :):)

Steve

play it at www.zone.com much more fun

Does anyone happen to have a really fast PC or Server, workstation...... etc, that person could host and it be better than going through the zone. Although the zone is a good idea.

My point exactly - better still a good server on the INEX would be perfick :)

why bother? u can host a game quite comfortably on a p3 500hmz PC, if u host through a server who are u going to play with? there are 10,000 people to play with on the zone anytime

The point I was making was a server for boardsers! :)

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    The point I was making was a server for boardsers! :)
    My point aswell, kinda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

Originally posted by Kaimera
    As much as I love AoE, C&C is the fav only cos I'm more into tanks, armor etc than cavalry.

I find in AoE I can wall myself in and spend hours building resources for one big push.

C&C you dont have that luxury. It's more rush rush.

Here's hoping that Generals is a classic.

mongols-feudal caverly rush, nothing more effective, nothing more annoying.

i havent actually played c&c (ya i know its hard to believe) so i cant compare the two but i can tell you how much i love aok2

this much

||||/ ____________________________________________ \||||*

(*not to actual scale):D

y i get ure point about the server guys, 1 problem i c with it is getting people to play when u wana play, with such a small pool of players, even with a few thousand players on the zone.com its hard to get games! there are aoktc servers on the zone that arnt used, there is also a messaging system that makes it easy to communicate and no i dont work for them! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement