Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military -Afrika korps

Options
  • 13-08-2001 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Ok hitting on the idea of combining wargames and military again. Hopefully to a better result.

To make things easier i'll hit on a ww2 topic.

AFRIKA KORPS... the famous german afrikan army under Rommal.

If you dont know who Rommal is or wha the AK were heres a quicke:

Afrika korps was a panzer force sent to help italy's very big **** up in trying to take northan africa areas... Rommal though with weaker forces (he was up against a large british force) and constant fuel shortages ran with great success kicking the crap out of the enemy. He used anti tank guns and troops to create killing zones were he lured british tanks into using his weaker panzer 1's to lure the british tanks (churchills? cant remember) into them.

With the arrival of the panzer 4, panther and the tiger, he struck the golden cord of unbeatable. Then montgomery was sent and through almost dog like determination he defeated Rommal and the whole scene fell apart frown.gif

What i wanna talk about were the stories that Hitler hated Rommal and constantly disrupted supplies to him. The fable story of a american commander who was so paranoid of Rommal built his own bunker under the desert. Rommal as a person. He wasnt a nazi supporter and was actually liked by the british public.

Also while in Kosovo i met the modern Afrika Korps and despite they being half drunk at the time they still pass of as a elite military force. The only major differances were the symbol had the swatzikas removed and that they have Lepoards now instead of tigers...

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

the churchills where slow but decent tanks, mostly rommel was up against british cruiser tanks (built for speed, not armor/armament - basically the english military designed them as a replacement for cavalry and they were shot to bits by the germans) and the british infantry support tanks like the matilda (lots of armor, incredibily slow tho). the german tanks were far far superior to the britich when rommel took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

When Rommel arrived in North Africa the DAK was equipped with MKII's, MKIII and MKIV panzers. All of which where inferior to the British tanks.
    Only with the arrival of the MKIII and MKIV Specials did the technical superiority swing in favour of the German forces. But this was soon countered by the arrival of the Grant and Sherman tank to the 8th Army.
    At the time the British armoured division consisted solely of tanks, unlike the german panzer division which were a mix of tanks, mechanized infantry and mechanized artillary. It was the fact that german commanders had a better understanding of armoured warfare than there british counter parts which led to DAK victories in North Africa.

Advertisement