Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalmation

Options
  • 13-07-2005 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I have a beautiful liver spotted dalmation 4 years old and a 8 month old jack russel. Both of these dogs are really beautiful, happy, child friendly and well tempered.

I may need to sell them very soon. I do not have the time to walk them and i cannot give them the attention they need. I will be moving home soon and will be moving into an apartment.

My father who the dalmation was bought for has no time for the dog. So the dog has now become my responceblity. when i leave my father wants me to take with me or sell the dogs.

the dalmation is a perdigry breed. i have all the paper work and the j.r. is a full j.r. pup.

updated~ been onto ikc and they will be back on to me with in the next week or so.

thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Not being smart but can you put a price on an animal that has been loyal and a friend to you and your family for over 4 years, should you not be more concerned about finding them a good home rather then how much you can make out of them.....Sorry if that sounds blunt but thats the way I see it....pass the buck.

If you have any feelings for the Dalmation get in touch with the Irish Kennel Club and ask them for a number for a place that rescues Dalmations, you won't make money out of it but it is the least you can do for the dog, Dalmations require experienced owner so at least it stands a better chance of going to the right family.

As for trying to get money for your jack russell pup not even going to comment on that (look in the free adds they are giving them away so why should someone pay to get one off you)....get in touch with rescue and do the descent thing and let them be homed for nothing rather then trying to make out of them. You owe them at least that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Good of you to realize that the dogs' needs won't be fulfilled and looking for improvement.

But SELL them? ...

It would be your responsibility to find a good home for them. One where they will be well cared for and that ticks all the right boxes. With a plethora of Dalmations (101 Dalmations anyone ??) and JR's already out there looking for homes, you would be very optimistic to expect payment for them.

If somebody does offer you money, it will most likely be a puppy farmer, keen on the papers ...you wouldn't want them to end up there would you?

Get into contact with your local rescue, they might be able to help you make the right decision and assist you in finding the right home for your dogs before it gets urgent.
    Dogs from a home environment are sometimes easier to place than from a rescues' kennels.

And then ask them how much you can donate for their services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

I'm not the one who wants to sell him. My father is and he's asked me to either take the dog or sell him!! i love the dog but i cant take him with me and its crule enough since he doesnt get walked enough or paid enough attention!!!

it was a question thats all..

the thing is that i bought both dogs , dalmation was €500 and the JR €100.

My dad when he was in a different line of business had other dalmations. 5 years ago he went on about wanting another one so i got him one for fathers day!

and i did say if! i was to sell them i have other options too.. giving them to a good owner. giving them back to the breeders etc. i was just asking for the going rate for them IF i was to sell them!

i'm fine with giving the dog away too.. if someone wanted to pay for the dalmation thats fine but i'd be happier if it was looked after right!

sorry i didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

The Dalmation is probally worth 4-5oo euro, but anyone paying that for a 5yr old dog only wants to make money from it, so i agree with other posters, find them a good home, best of luck with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Selling those dogs they could easily end up on a puppy farm or from someone else just looking to make money on them.

Get them neutered, make sure their vaccinations are up to date and worming etc. and contact you local rescues to get on the list.

There are some very genuine people out there who want pure bred dogs just for the love of the breed so they shoudln't mind the dog being already neutered. Anyone that doesn't want the dog neutered is probably wanting to breed from it although a small handful may be genuine and want to just show the dog.

There are thousands of pure bred jrts in the country hundreds looking for homes in rescues already. Popular dogs so popular they are dumped everywhere.

All I can say is which ever you choose have them neutered first if not done already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

both dog's are up to date with the vet and i'm sorry i'd never neuter an animal ever!!!
    things seem to have changed a bit on the home front, my dad has a friend (up north lots of land) he's more a lab dog man but he's interested in the dogs because he knows them to be good with kids. i hope he takes them (no money will be handed over)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

do the dogs a favour and get them neutered, at least that way they won't get sold on and used as a breeding machine in a puppy farm....you are putting your dogs at a lot of risk otherwise, especially your dalmation....the dogs will benefit from getting neutered, they will live a longer happier life and not have many litter of puppies. There are not enough homes out there for the dogs that are currently looking for homes. Get them neutered they deserve it

Advertisement