Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hair thinning.......

Options
  • 13-07-2005 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hey folks

my hair is thinning and just wondering if you can do anything about it :D

im 31, have had a fine head of hear, until about last yr, when a mate noticed, its not too bad, just thought id post here....
    i told a barber to get it cut short and spikey, but he said it was too thin for that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

austin healy(english rugby player) endorsed some kind of treatment a few years back. Worked for him, he used to be nearly bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shave your head now. Start gradually - 3-blade, then 2-blade, then 1-blade, then 0.5-blade. Eventually just take it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

seamus wrote:
    Shave your head now. Start gradually - 3-blade, then 2-blade, then 1-blade, then 0.5-blade. Eventually just take it all off.

Yes I agree, keep it nice and short, 2 blade ... My hair's been thinning out for a couple of years now so just keep it short, plus the ladies love it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Have to add to the choir of short hair fanatics. I keep my fairly thin hair very short (zero blade).

The first time you do it it can look a bit silly because your scalp is a different colour to the skin on your face, but once this evens out (pretty fast), it's a real winner (plus it requires zero maintenance).

If you're die-hard determined to keep your hair, I'd suggest talking to your doctor or (at least) a pharmacist. There are lots of ways to keep / increase your hair count these days. Transplants (for example) can be done very effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The best solution is a comb over. Make the most of what you have! But seriously, I'm firmly in the short cut camp. Transplant look terrible, and a wig would be worse.

Hey, bright side is that women associate baldness with virility, so wax that sucker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Great to see so many of a single-ish mind. Had 'thick' hair, but mainly at the back and well, um, wispy towards the front. Nipped down the barber and asked for the usual blade 2 at sides and a 'trim' at the top

After noticing there was a lot of, um, forehead showing I said to him 'go on, soddit, let it all go'

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz - Blade 2, and indeed, it was different. I washed my teeth and felt there was a football hooligan looking back at me.

Went for a blade 1 later that week - got used to it, and now, having bought my own clippers, it's a blade zero, and haven't looked back. Friday night is clippers night

Most liberating thing I'd done in ages, and most people sort of admire it in a 'well, you've faced up to the fact you're a baldy baldy ba$tard'...

oh, and during time of a heatwave like this is the best time to do it; the sun will make your scalp half match the rest of yer head!

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

get the head shaved :) definately no comb over. My Dad had a combover for years and my brother shaved it off when he was drunk, its the only way he could have got it off haha! i finally got mine .5" all round and it looks great everyones been telling me. it was quite traumatic for a time but you'll feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you really want hair, there's a natural supplement called Biotin that is supposed to aid the growth of hair/nails. i took it for a while, and if you are regular you will notice a difference after a month or two:

http://www.naturesway.ie/pages/product.asp?xs=30040BA8866F46F2AE7D1A0FBB0BB815&PID=103&np=1&cpid=17

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ruu wrote:
    My Dad had a combover for years and my brother shaved it off when he was drunk

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Brilliant. Just brilliant. :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I washed my teeth and felt there was a football hooligan looking back at me.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

tbh, if my hair starts to thin to a noticable degree at 31, I'd be happy to shave it off.
    Recently got freaked out by the hairline change which apparently occours around the 20 yo mark, and still am a bit (baldness isn't just hereditary in my family, it's required).
    Best thing to do if you want to hold onto it is try vitamin suppliments, keep it cut regularly so it's healthy, try and keep as much crap out of it as you can and if all else fails try something like regaine.

I'd shave it tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Toppik.

Check google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The ironing...

As someone who just chose to shave his head I could do with thinner hair - would make shaving less hassle and razor blades last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shane Warne has the solution

Me? I'm thinning on top and have been for years, should have got it cut this morning really but it was sooooooooo hot. Maybe next week I'll 'go for it'

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

mike65 wrote:
    Shane Warne has the solution

Me? I'm thinning on top and have been for years, should have got it cut this morning really but it was sooooooooo hot. Maybe next week I'll 'go for it'

Mike.
    tbh you'll always be at risk from the elements.

Found meself that if yer caught out in the rain, the droplets start to just run down your bonce as opposed to *sigh* back in the day when the ol' mop would absorb 'em.

Likewise, bog all protection from the sun either. Not sure if you can slap factor 15 on your noggin; I think this is where you're meant to tie a hanky at the corners and, er, slap it on your head

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

BizzyC wrote:
    austin healy(english rugby player) endorsed some kind of treatment a few years back. Worked for him, he used to be nearly bald.

Which treatment?

Has anyone here had success with Advanced Hair Studios in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Khannie wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Brilliant. Just brilliant. :):D

It was quite funny, they have the actual piece of hair in a plastic bag hanging behind the bar to this day as far as i know, must ask when i call home next. :D It was the only way we would have gotten it cut off because he didnt realise how stupid it looked when the wind just blew it over or something.

Advertisement