Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Pics at Dublin Mountain Slopes

Options
  • 12-07-2005 10:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I also went up to the slopes for some soaring.
    Here are a few pics from there.
    On Sunday there was not much wind to soar on, so it was all electric engine planes...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Some more pics......
    The planes are Green Hobby Daisy standard, Daisy with Skyline aileron wing fitted, Aero-Naut Elektro Cat with brushless Megamotor, and a Multiplex Picojet with brushless Megamotor. The Picojet is ballistic with so much power in a tiny airframe I had a Rödel Cessna, Aero-naut Skyraider, and a Wingo that didn't make it into the pics this time.

Found a pic of the Cessna later, it's small - 1.2 metre wingspan , motor is a speed 400 with gearbox. Two flights averaged 23 mins duration! Not bad for a basic styrofoam plane that cost 75 eur. (The windows are painted on with acrylic artists paint!) We made this for my 10 year son to learn to fly on. No wheels fitted so as to allow belly landings in long grass on the slopes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

So to get them in the air you have to throw them and hope for the best?? :D

dts wrote:
    So to get them in the air you have to throw them and hope for the best?? :D
    U hand launch the small ones, its a bit like throwing darts at a dartboard.
    Hope? .....Not really ... Just aim at the horizon and give lotsa throttle ;)

It still sounds scary after spending all that time building them up to then throw them off a hill!!!! :)

• Advertisement

The scaryness contributes tremendously to the kicks you get from flying RC. :) Its one of the things U master while learning to fly. I would probably give it up if there was no fear element to it.

Others are..... developing your own skill (admiring/enjoying it when U are good & mentally kicking yourself up the behind when U made a mistake)

Fighting the unseen enemies, 1 your own inexperience (the things U don't know yet, and also, of course, 2 the ever present wind turbulence.

Then there is the ones you know already, enjoying the use of a high performance race machine that U yourself made. :D and hanging with friends who enjoy the same hobby.

There is another thing that slope soarers get, and that's the satisfaction U get from "surfing an invisible wave" often in wind strengths that keeps every piston engine plane on the ground.

But the sheer speed of planes .... it takes your breath away.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

For now I will stick to cars but I am sure that sooner or later I will have to get a plane/boat/helicopter.......
    Just talking about it makes me want to scoot off work and go home to get one of the cars out for a blast.
    I think the next thing I will get will be a truck so I can run it outside the front of the house and not have to drive to somewhere with smooth tarmack. Thats the only down side to the high speed cars, finding large enough smooth spaces to run them in.

How about a model that is a car, a boat, a plane ... all in the same model ?
    Think I'm dreaming .... then take a look at this
    http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=HydroFoam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NitroCruiser

Wow

oh wow now that looks fun. Where do you get one of those???????????
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool:

• Advertisement

Right now you've got to make your own. :p

I suppose you'd call it indoor flight meets brushless meets lipoly batteries.
    Plans available, and build it from depron sheet which is about a €5-er a sheet here in Ireland.

Those would be a real handful to control, but ... as you say .... WOW !
    When you see what it does ... how could anyone NOT want one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

WOW that has gota be one of the coolest thing going in rc , magic :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

coolwings wrote:
    How about a model that is a car, a boat, a plane ... all in the same model ?
    Think I'm dreaming .... then take a look at this
    http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=HydroFoam

I want one. Nothing else to say really :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

coolwings wrote:

Plans available, and build it from depron sheet which is about a €5-er a sheet here in Ireland.

any linkage??

The only web site I could find was the one on the vidio clip.
    http://www.michaelconnally.com
    They say they have plans to bring out a kit in the future and to keep checking the site.
    Just how do you controll that thing?

Here is a manual for a kit that has just appeared ....
    http://www.rchomepage.com/~dna/hangar_one.pdf
    I don't know if that link will be good forever, so get em while they're hot folks :D

Here are plans , comments, updates, and lots more...
    HERE

There is loads of useless info but go down to post no 5 for a summary.

dts wrote:
    The only web site I could find was the one on the vidio clip.
    http://www.michaelconnally.com
    They say they have plans to bring out a kit in the future and to keep checking the site.
    Just how do you controll that thing?
    There will be many kits of this coming out ... it's so popular.

We will use the free download plan to build our own from depron , they are quite simple. We anticipate that commercially made kits from depron will be fragile and need repairing. We were trying to get depron in Ireland for years, it cost so much to transport it was a problem for a long time. That was for making indoor fly model aircraft. But now it's all sorted out and we have it in Green Hobby & Model in Dublin since June. So that's another obstacle overcome..

I expect that other commercially made kits made from EPP will appear soon, because that is a tougher material, but from the videos I have seen, a very light flying weight is very important and the heavy EPP ones will be marginal from a power point of view. So I would rather use the depron myself.

About controlling it? That rear spoiler is ailerons and elevator mixed, (so U need a computer radio or if U have an analogue radio u must add a vee tail mixer ) Practise flying a delta with elevon controls first. It's just a slowfly delta when you look at the design, though the shape is radically different.

IMHO You would be wise to learn on a conventional airplane before getting stuck into an all-terrain flying model. Less room for frustrating problems that nobody local can help u with, if u have a "normal" plane ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

For does of you interested in the Hydrofoam....check out smc.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/Piranah-5421.htm

Didn't take long - did it?

Cool its a must have. I would get one now if I hadnt just spent all my last cent on a hot tub from the US. (most expensive thing I have bought on ebay yet). It will be a few months before I have paid that off on the credit card!

:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement