Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter Childrens and Adult Editions

Options
  • 12-07-2005 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Apart from the covers being different, what is the difference between the children's edition and the adult's edition?

Looking forward to the new release! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

nothing afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

small font, that's all AFAIK, it would be good if they put in some swearing tho :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

****in hell 'arry yer ****in nuts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The adult edition contains numerous references to the size of Harry's phallus and features the term 'felching' no less than 387 times.

nah.. Marts is right, it's just the covers and the font size that are different...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

so i assume the cover is harry naked and that the fontt is called 'luscious'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Focusing a bit too much on one particular nuance of "adult" I think :D

The sole difference between the two is that some older people feel uncomfortable if seen reading a book aimed primarily at children. Of course, that's a bit of a childish attitude - the ironing is delicious.

I'm reminded of the story of two people being introduced at a party, and the host saying they had something in common because they were both writers.

"Oh, what sort of stuff to you write?"

"I write adult novels, covering adult themes like getting drunk or high, having meaningless sex, and getting tied up with petty intrigue between people you call your friends. What do you write?"

"I write children's novels, covering children's themes like the importance of living an ethical life, the difficulty in doing so, the nature of morality in a universe where we have only limited information to base our decisions on and the importance of friendship".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There is no difference in the story, if that's what you mean. I'm getting the one with the children's cover, I mean it is a children's book so what is there to be ashamed of?

Nice analogy Talliesin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kenshi

I think I will get the Adult cover. I have 1 to 4 in the childrens' covers and 5 in the adults! Exact same book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

There isn't any difference, but I like the Adult covers more. Unfortunately I got the first few books in the kid's cover so i have to keep with that. Who knows, maybe someday I'll sell my set and get the adult covers. Maybe when all seven come out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I prefer the adult covers myself, although the covers on the US versions look great! Mind you, I wouldn't buy new copies just to have matching covers... And I'll be removing the dust jacket anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

scorpy wrote:
    I prefer the adult covers myself, although the covers on the US versions look great! Mind you, I wouldn't buy new copies just to have matching covers... And I'll be removing the dust jacket anyway.

Yeah the American editions are better imo. I've gotten them the past couple of years as I've been in America when the fourth and fifth book were released and I'm getting the sixth sent over. I like them that much! The cover art is better and the books themselves are bigger due to a different font. They also have little pictures at the start of each chapter, at the top of the page. Another feature I'm quite partial to is that whenever there's a letter written, the American edition has a different signature for different characters!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Anyone have any pics to compare the two covers?

Didn't even know there was different editions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

tinka wrote:
    Yeah the American editions are better imo.
    Not a bad translation into American, but I'd stick with the British English myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I prefer the adult covers, i think the children's editions are just plain ugly looking.

I have the US kids edition of the first book - '...the Sorcerers Stone' as it's called over there and i love the cover, it's got such rich purple and gold colours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Anyone have any pics to compare the two covers?

Didn't even know there was different editions..

I would imagine a trip to amazon.co.uk and to amazon.com would give you the desired pictures.

Advertisement