Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

** Exam results and repeats query **

• 12-07-2005 11:06am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I need you to clarify something for me. I was under the impression that if
    you fail any particular subject in any one year that you automatically recieve
    a pass grade for that year.
    However some people have mentioned it to me that this is not in fact true
    and that if you repeat your exam in August and recieve the required result
    you can still get a 2:2, 2:1 or 1:1.

I failed an exam this year but I ended up being compensated for it and I
    am therefore marked down as a pass grade on the pass lists. If the above
    is true that I can still gain a 2:2 or whatever it would make sense for me
    to repeat the exam I failed despite the fact that I compensated for failing
    it.

Could you tell me if you can still get an honours mark despite failing an
    exam and if its possible to repeat the exam that I compensated in order to
    recieve an honours result. They are third year results by the way so its not my final year

If you read paragraph 71, 72, 73 and 74 HERE it says that you need to pass all modules first go in order to get a honours result but some people have said this isnt true.

If anyone could help clear this up for me it would be great

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Hi,
    What course are you doing? As far as I'm aware, failure in a module does not preclude you from an honours degree.

If you are doing computing or engineering see: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinations/ec_derogations.shtml

If you're doing something else, I'm not sure.

You could check with the head of your dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

No, if you do a repeat, you get a pass for the year.
    Otherwise you'd be penalising people who did better during the year by compensating them.

The exemptions are to do with the final degree level, not a result for a year.
    Ie. if you get an honour in 4th year, it wont be marked as a pass cause you got compensated this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BizzyC wrote:
    No, if you do a repeat, you get a pass for the year.
    Otherwise you'd be penalising people who did better during the year by compensating them.

Yeah thats why I thought if you get compensated tahts actually worse than if you didnt because if you didnt you can still go and repeat and get your honours.
    d@rk l0rd wrote:
    Hi,
    What course are you doing? As far as I'm aware, failure in a module does not preclude you from an honours degree.

If you are doing computing or engineering see:
    http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinat...rogations.shtml

If you're doing something else, I'm not sure.

You could check with the head of your dept.

Im doing a computing course. In that link it says that CA students are allowed two exemptions and they can still be eligible for honours. I think exemptions are different to failures though as far as I know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BizzyC wrote:
    The exemptions are to do with the final degree level, not a result for a year.
    Ie. if you get an honour in 4th year, it wont be marked as a pass cause you got compensated this year.

you sure man?

I think you get a pass for the year as well but the odd person said that thats not true they know who people who repeated and still got an honours.

Could be bullsh1t though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I had one compensation in 4th year, and still got a 2.1. (Electronic Engineering)

LK

Yeah, but was the 2.1 your degree result, or you result for the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

BizzyC wrote:
    Yeah, but was the 2.1 your degree result, or you result for the year?

Both

LeperKing wrote:
    I had one compensation in 4th year, and still got a 2.1. (Electronic Engineering)

LK

Well this is definitely not true for me as I compensated an exam and I got the relevant results for a 2:2 but I was only given a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Yes i always found this very confusing especially when in my course (engineering) 2nd (10%) and 3rd (~15%) year grades make up a percentage of the final grade!! So if i compensated in second year and not 3rd and 4th would i be rite that its the overall grade is taken into account!

Say 10% is the total for the second year result! And say i conpensated hence got a pass grade! But if the average was taken i would get a 2-2 / 2-1 or wotever does it just give a pass core and not the average result???

Anyone understand??? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

You're asking whether or not the 10% of the marks for 2nd year will be calculated by your average scores, or if you'll be given a flat 40%?
    Honestly, I don't know. Good question.
    I think the exemptions mentioned earlier apply to your final year, as it is worth ~75% of your degree and DCU want to minimise the number of pass degrees it hands out.

or maybe you can compensate years???
    ie if you've failed modules in 3 of your 4 years you get a pass degree?????

BizzyC wrote:
    or maybe you can compensate years???
    ie if you've failed modules in 3 of your 4 years you get a pass degree?????

Yeah this is kinda true. Well for the CA course anyway if you have to repeat a module or compensate for module in 3 out of the four years then you cant get an honours degree. If you only have to do it in 2 years then I think you are ok and you can still get an honours degree.

Its different for each course though as far as I know. each one has different regulations depending on the length of the course etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Oh god, its so confusing!!!

:(

Advertisement