Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irons, the reason why?

Options
  • 12-07-2005 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am in the process of getting lessons and hopefully move towards a getting a handicap in the next couple of months. At the moment I'm hitting in the mid 90's

Anyway, yesterday evening the pro looked at my clubs - a cheap beginners set I purchased a few years ago (I have used them more in the past two months than I did for the past 2 years combined). I've been happy enough with them, but she pointed out that:
    a) My clubs are 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter compared to the clubs she has - she showed me the diference - very surprising.
    b) The grip on the clubs are not big enough??? She pointed out that my left hand gets around the grip too easily and the tops of my left fingers have no where to go when they reach my palm... This is affecting my grip.
    c) The clubs are starting to chip at the bottom, but that isn't a real concern for me.

She wasn't trying to sell anything - and I suggested I would buy on e-bay, she encouraged it because she wanted to see how it would work out...

I am thinking of the Taylormade OS as many people here have given them a good rating. What are peoples opinions of the reasons given and the best clubs to go for?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Custom fitting and investing in decent clubs all the way!! I'm 6ft 4" and have large hands so got my irons an inch longer with thicker grips. It was actually the TM RAC OS I bought. In the last year, well really the last 4 months, I've been cut from 15 to 11. Now I have been working on my game a lot more but the irons are working a treat, far more consistent, seldom would I hit an awful iron shot, a slight mi**** generally will go more or less where you want it to go. When buying, it was recommended that I buy the RAC LT so I tried them out, just didnt like the smaller head. Hopefully these irons will get me down to single figures and last a couple of years, then I'll embracing the new technology/trends again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well delboy if you are a guy and your coach is a women, you sohuldnt compare clubs since the opposite sex use different club designs for different reasons.

If you are over 6ft I'd suggest you get an inch longer on the shaft. If you have long fingers or big hands get thick grips.

The TM O/S are a savage club. They really are. Rarely does equipment alone drop your handicapp but i can honestly say within the first month of buying these i dropped 4 shots and i wasnt even hitting them to the maximum.
    Now I'm hitting them superb, I hit 7 irons from 150 yrds, i get superb spin and you can hit any type of shoit with them and best of al they look stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Thanks lads.

I asked her about the difference between male and female clubs, she had a regular mens set with her and she comapred a 6 iron with a 6 iron - so it seems she was on the ball. Also the club handle and grip was bigger...

From what I'm aware of, a womans club would be a little shorter and have a smaller grip area. If she had ladies clubs - that would have only exagerated the flaw in my own set...

I think I'll chance the new TM o/s - where is the best spot on e-bay and will there be any taxes from the US? I'm 5'11 so I don't think I need the extra inch on them..

I got mine from California custom made. I got them for $560.00 USD with an exta 56 wedge. Then asked him to mark the value down to avoid duty on them, still had to pay 40 euro though. Worked out around 480 euro all told. Got them 18 months ago. At the time they were 650 euro in McGuirks. the RAC really are a great club, you won't go wrong

http://stores.ebay.com/9-Gs-Golf

oh yeah I didnt get mine from bidding on ebay. I emailed the guy and did a deal. he operates his store on ebay though. Delivery in less than a week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Trampas

Golf Works can custom fit you also by connecting you up onto the computer.

All you do is say you are looking to by the TM clubs and you want to be fitted out.

They fit you out and then when you get your results back you go off to ebay and buy them there.

Irons that fit you are a must.

a small % of players do it.

most just buy off the shelf.

Keep up the good work.

Where is the pro you are going to??

Advertisement