Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt broke 96 Fiat Bravo 1.6

Options
  • 11-07-2005 7:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was told there was a big bang.

Is there any way to tell if the engine is OK without having to fit a new belt.

Is it worth getting it looked at or is it a case of just swapping the engine out for a similar one ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unless FIAT have managed make a cylinder head design breakthrough. Your valvegear is now in bits the top end will need rebuilding, lots of parts and time.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:J593Dvy_HcEJ:www.carsurvey.org/review_19082.html+timing+belt+snapped+fiat&hl=en&start=5&lr=lang_en

oops.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Reliability marks
    10/10

Lol! Is the car worth much to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say your best bet is to either, find a complete engine from a breaker or simply wave "bye bye" to the car and buy somthing else. If you find a replacement unit you wil have the chance to get it lots of new bits (plugs leads, fluids, er belts etc).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Your engine is ****ed a backstreet mechanic might be able to find an engine in a scrapped car and carry out the transplant for you.Like Mike65 said its a good time to renew or replace any parts like Belts,Filters and clutch if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I presume you have checked it is actually the timing belt.
    I had one break on me and yes there was a pinging a shreeking a banging, and then lots of weeping. when the piston hit the valve it stopped briefly bending the crankshaft before it pulverised the valve into the camshaft.
    new engine I'm afraid.
    On some cars the piston can't hit the valves, I used to have a car years ago that broke timing belts often.
    It was no problem coast to halt new belt out of the boot and 20 mins later off we go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah can see the tops of the camshaft sprockets :(

And uses "ribe" bolts to hold the camshaft housing so can't tell how bad the damage is meself.

Buy and Sell have similar cars (yeah I know - but it ain't my choice) for about €1,250 and I'm guesstimating say €700 to get a breakers engine bought and fitted - does that sound way off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might be worth considering getting another one instead. Just spotted this in Carzone:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=229793&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%26nbsp%3BFiat%20Bravo%2C%20Year%3A%201999%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=14012813&CFTOKEN=14928242

You would probably buy it for €2,500 waving cash in their face and its a year newer also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks all - just spotted a typo was a 1996 not a 1998 , the shape hasn't changed much :o

Advertisement