Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression/PMS problems.. councillor needed!!

Options
  • 11-07-2005 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good councillor with a medical backgound?
    My sister suffers from mild depression and very bad PMS which are possible linked. She wants to get help but needs a little push. Therefore I would be grateful if anyone can recommend a counciller that they KNOW is good and easy to talk to in the Dublin area.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Counsellors aren't usually doctors. Its more or a technician grade than professional.

How did you come to the conclusion that the depression was linked to the PMS. I get the impression lot of women some women suffer some depression when suffering PMS, but this isn't clinical depression (one of the criteria is that it must be there for two weeks to be classed as clinical depression).

Your doctor should have a list of local counsellors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SouthO

Well,

to be honest she thinks they may be linked herself. I've never suffered from this so I can't say whether she is wrong or right. As far as doctor's having a list of counsellors, I am aware of this but they tend to be biased, this is why I posted the thread to see if anyone can recommend someone they went to & KNOW is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Does she only suffer from depression when she has PMS? I'd recommend going to a doctor with regards to the PMS, try and sort that out and if depression is still a problem after that then it's time to see a therapist of some sort.

How old is she? Has she always had bad PMS, how long has she been depressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I suggest a couple of things

- she should note in a diary when depression comes on, or when she feels worst (is it definitely unrelated to any other factors in her life?) - this will help her determine if it is PMS related, as she should see a pattern.

- IF it is definitely hormonal and not related to anything else going on, she should examine her diet and/or try to treat the PMS. There is a link between PMS, Vitamin B12 deficiency and depression.

- If they're not linked, of course she should see a counsellor etc. It wouldn't hurt to go to her GP in any case.

I had a real problem there for a while, I used to completely freak out and get very down indeed . . . .thought I was going mad until I noticed that it happened on the *exact* same day of my cycle every month . .day 17 . . weird. A few vitamin supplements sorted it out. Well I knew it was irrational anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Is your sister on the pill? If she is, her depression could, potentially, be linked with that as well.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Just a quick note on the PMS side (in addition to annR):

My partner used to suffer depression/mood swings at this time every month.
    What helped were:
    * Starflower Oil supplements - these help take away the worst of the 'bad' moods(These had an almost immediate affect, although everyone is different).
    * Avoiding products containing very refined flour at that time (e.g. pizza)
    * Magnesium supplements to control cravings.

I think the Starflower is definately worth a try at least - try taking it in the week coming up to when it usually strikes...

Try getting them from a health shop as opposed to a chemist - usually better quality...

These steps have worked for us for years...

I hope this is of some help.

Advertisement