Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatstroke warning.

Options
  • 11-07-2005 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

It's hot out there..as you all know. Anything above 22 degrees and guinea pigs and rabbits will suffer heat stroke, please bring any small animals either indoors or into a cool concrete type shed.

Never thought I'd want winter to hurry on up :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

except if they're a reptile but still give them a shady place to hide in if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

It's hot out there..as you all know. Anything above 22 degrees and guinea pigs and rabbits will suffer heat stroke, please bring any small animals either indoors or into a cool concrete type shed.

Never mind small animals i'll nearly get heat stroke.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

never mind you what about the poor little animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

i had to leave my 2 little dogs locked up in our dining room, there's a glass patio door which means the sun shines in until 1 or so & it gets really stuffy, hope they're alright :S i gave them fresh water & then had to go to work at 9.45... there's no windows in the room either, just the door, & i couldn't leave that open. poor things :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yv you could cover the doors with a sheet or something to block out the sun, if we all feel the heat you can imagine how hot it is for the animals with fur coats.

Rabbits and guinea pigs don't sweat so have no way of cooling themselves down, it's going to be 30 degrees in areas today, too hot for everybody :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My girlfreind is driving home for lunch today just to check up on our 6 month old kittens. They've been acting a bit mad in the past few days, we just put it down to the intense heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are they spayed/neutered? If not they could be coming into heat and would need to be fixed.

With the heat animals don't become mad they lie down, they pant, the quickly go downhill don't attempt to give them water by mouth instead cool their body first and once they have recovered and can sit up then give them a little drink and gradually increase it.

Ice in cats and dogs water bowls helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Are they spayed/neutered? If not they could be coming into heat and would need to be fixed.

With the heat animals don't become mad they lie down, they pant, the quickly go downhill don't attempt to give them water by mouth instead cool their body first and once they have recovered and can sit up then give them a little drink and gradually increase it.

Ice in cats and dogs water bowls helps too.

We have noticed some behavioural changes just recently and they are due to get spayed early next month. They are male and female (siblings) and I don't want anymore little cats. They have been a bit more dosile in the past few days and as you said it's just the heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

On hot days i give my 8 month old GS a big lump of ice to lick. What I do is I mix 1 teaspoon of yoghurt into a pyrex dish of warm water and freeze it. She could spend hours licking it. Also I bought her a really cheap kids pool. I keep it in the shade and she hops in and out during the day. Sometimes she will sit in the pool for a couple of hours. Great way of cooling down. She is a long haired GS so she gets VERY hot.

If ure thinking of investing in a pool, i think aldi and lidl do them some weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

For bunnies & piggies always keep old drinks bottles fill with water & stick in the freezer - on hot days place in the cage or run & they can lay againt them to cool down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

we have the most gorgeous slobbery lump of a golden retriever and I feel so sorry for him in this weather. With his huge coat he is always roasting, we try to bring him to the beach every day and he just lies down in the water wiggling his belly. The rest of the time he's hiding out under bushes in the garden. Thankfully the garden has lots of shady spots for him and it appears to be cooler outside these days than inside. I don't wanna cut his coat cos he'd look awful but I wish there was something more I could do for him. We leave plenty of bowls of water everywhere for him, and make sure they're constantly changed with fresh cold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's Ideal weather for my Hermans tortoises!!! they are outdoors and loving it :-) eating well and sunning themselves :-) Long may it last !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

When my hair gets long I get hot, so when I get the crewcut so do the dogs, once every three weeks in the summer, I have also threatened to do the daughters dogs while she is on her hols, but I was thinking she wouldnt like it, when she got back, so I cut around his ears and under his belly, so he can roll over & keep cool & I can keep alive(when the daughter gets back)

Advertisement