Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How prepared can I possibely become

Options
  • 11-07-2005 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Got a letter from the Department of Transport last week to inform me that after 11 months since applying I will finally be doing my driving test in about a month's time. It will be my third attempt.

First attempt, I was ****e, I knew it and wasn't even driving my own car. Failed and deserved to. Second attempt, tester said there was nothing off the chart but said I just didn't get it. Failed, very ticked off. Before my last test I only did about two lessons, one was a pre-test. So who knows. :rolleyes: Maybe I just didn't prepare enough.

With a whole month ahead of me what are you guys' opinions on how I should be preparing? No doubt I will be studying the rules of the road as much as possible and aim to do at least four lessons.

No doubt from earlier posts I've read in this forum there's a theory that it's no matter how good you are the tester can fail you if they like. Whether that's true or not, it's no excuse for not being prepared and doing your best on the day.

So guys, less of the theories and more of the practical advise please.

Citizen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

practice, and loads of it.. not much else you can do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

For what it's worth, this is what I'd do in your shoes:

Do a pre test before any lessons, (I assume you're driving on a semi regular basis), this way you'll know what areas you're weak on. Get the opinon of the tester as to how many lessons you should do (say 3-4 for arguments sake) then do another pretest before going in. A good instructor and a few lessons should go a long way to getting you through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Just get as many lessons as you possibly can. get to know the (likely) course. Get used to driving with someone looking at you. Move your head when checking mirror (exagerate so tester notices). Ensure car is working properly (lights, plates, tax, ins, etc.) Make sure you are well used to the car. Wear respectable clothes... i.e. no wa wear.

All common sense but really do get lessons (6 or 7 or until you are comfortable driving while someone is staring at you)- I know its an expense but at least you'll be finished with it and finally have your license.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would do a few pre tests as by now you have picked up various bad habits and you will want them cured for the big day.
    also make sure there is no crap in the car, no smell of fags, make sure the car is taxed, NCTd and insured. Make sure you licence is valid.
    Make sure you know the bits and bobs under the bonnet.

Advertisement