Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barred

Options
  • 11-07-2005 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I am about to get barred on Irish animals for promoting good fishkeeping.
    Have any others had this experience.
    I have labelled them as bigots, am I right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I dunno. i find your posts eratic and difficult to understand. maybe they just misunderstand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well, its the kind of website where they don't like people dictating.
    They have their own experts in there ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It might be for advertising your site, which is a store. Giving advice is one thing, advertising is another. Though I haven't read IrishAnimals in a long long time so I can't say that's the case, just an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Welcome to the club. *me barred too*

There is a certain style of "debate" that is favoured on that board.
    At least you seem to have received a warning ..my account just got deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think your posts are good and informative, but as someone else said your advertizement and pushing your site is a bit annoying.
    There were some people using the forum in the past promoting your site too, im sure they were known to you, every post they made they mentioned the site, "buy your new tank here" "we have a bargain at the moment"
    it really pissed me off because they were clearly only replying to get a chance to get the plug in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Ah now - fill the people here in on the whole story if you're going to complain.

Btw - you didn't get barred - you got warned. Ever so slight a difference.

Also - it was the PetsIreland board, not IrishAnimals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

I have always found the folks on I,A and P.I a dedicated bunch who are involved in the rescue of many types of animals from dogs to rabbits. I could see why a post on selling fish would prompt a response, would it not be irresponsible not too? What next old men standing at corners with puppies.

Maybe you do have a strange sense of humor that only you fully understand :rolleyes: but the coal face of rescue (All animals) In Ireland is a very busy and stressful vocation, with little respite, so your post was perhaps a little obtuse.

Then I suppose you don't need a rescue for fish as they get flushed down the toilet. :eek:
    CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

the joke was on the boot fayre string.
    I wrote "does anyone know of a good boot fayre in dublin or the subburbs, I am thinking of selling budgies & parakeets?

They have taken it out of proportion,
    We do sell budgies & parakeets on our site but only the springy versions & the talking parakeets which work by battery.
    According to ia or the new version pets ireland thats a hanging offence, but more its a sinbin offence and they wont post my say.
    Thats the truth
    With regards to promotion of my site, the proceeds of which are donated towards fundraising for animal centres in ireland. Well why not!
    regards
    www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
    Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical

they only barr peasants do they!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I can see their point, i don't think anyone should sell live animals by mail order - fish or otherwise.

boroughmal wrote:
    the joke was on the boot fayre string.
    I wrote "does anyone know of a good boot fayre in dublin or the subburbs, I am thinking of selling budgies & parakeets?

Haaaa Haaaa .. a bit of humour :) Anyways - even if you were to sell at a boot fare - whats the problem. I bought my rabbit at a boot fair and shes grand - never had a problem with it - if she did she'd tell me so :):D

I have always found your posts informative as I have a Rio 125 - and its nice to get info from an expert. I don't see the add for the shop as an intrusion at all - in fact - better to have it than not when giving advice of this sort. At least you know the person giving it has experience with tanks etc for starters.

That IA Forum is monitored pretty closely and a tight knit community. I'm not knocking them at all - my boyfriend has one of their rescue cats. I suppose, the their arena they see some pretty drastic and horrific things. For example - the cat mentioned above was tied to a railway track! All its siblings died. I guess there are some crazy people out there and they don't want ideas given on their site.

I definitely don't think that the image of a parakeet being sold from the boot of a car could get you booted off an animal rescue forum. Save the parakeet!!

boroughmal - would you really ditch your fish shop for a stall selling springy parakeets and plastic budgies from a stolen chip van every weekend!!

hadook wrote:
    Ah now - fill the people here in on the whole story if you're going to complain.

Again - fill them in on the whole story if you're going to complain.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

Hadook, that is the brunt of it as well as having a link to a site that sells fish in the signature (which are boroughmals favourite pet - 30 years experience with them). There was no posting on the board "come on to this site and buy some live fish".

If you knew the whole story, I'm sure you wouldn't even visit petsireland. Besides, it goes back a lot further than you are aware of ! So if I were you, I'd keep your nose out of it as you don't know what your talking about....

Hadook, that is the brunt of it as well as having a link to a site that sells fish in the signature (which are boroughmals favourite pet - 30 years experience with them). There was no posting on the board "come on to this site and buy some live fish".

If you knew the whole story, I'm sure you wouldn't even visit petsireland. Besides, it goes back a lot further than you are aware of ! So if I were you, I'd keep your nose out of it as you don't know what your talking about....

Fuzzie Bear - I am a moderator on PetsIreland & I post under the username Hadook there too. I've been a member there as long as you have. You have pm'd me several times on PI, surely you know who I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Whey-hey ....Popcorn for all !!

This could get quite entertaining :D

@boroughmal
    I got barred from IA (under a different nick) for riding my hobby-horse that people who aren't at home all day shouldn't have a dog.
    Apparently one of the rescue orgs on the board didn't quite agree with that opinion being published :D

Haven't bothered with the new platform since.

Working in animal rescue is a tough job and you certainly need a tough stance and character to be able to do it and I admire those people for their dedication and the good work that gets done.

But people being people, some let their egos run away with them.

I'm not criticizing anyone personally here (I don't know anyone personally), but it's the same all over the world. A certain percentage of animal welfare organisations tend to loose the focus on the welfare of the animals and rather tend to their own egos and reputations and their trench warfare with other orgas.

Don't know whether this is the case here, but for my own part I have decided to stay out of any and all organisations and rather spread my "message" privately. First and foremost with my own animals ...around the neighborhood ...anyone who asks me about my dogs ... and occasionally here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

Fuzzie Bear - I am a moderator on PetsIreland & I post under the username Hadook there too. I've been a member there as long as you have. You have pm'd me several times on PI, surely you know who I am?

Hi Hadook, I know who you are, I'm just trying to make a point that just because your a moderator, you may not necessarily know everything that is going on....

bubby wrote:
    Haaaa Haaaa .. a bit of humour :) Anyways - even if you were to sell at a boot fare - whats the problem. I bought my rabbit at a boot fair and shes grand - never had a problem with it - QUOTE]

It's against the law to sell pets at car boot sales/markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yes it is against the law to sell small animals like that.
    You were lucky your rabbit was healthy.

I can imagine just like in pet shops this rabbit was not vaccinated or health checked before it was sold to you, and probably very stressed at the time being moved to the boot fair etc.

My advice to anyone that sees animals for sale at open markets/boot fairs is to report it at the very least to your local spca.

• Advertisement

No I dont sell animals at the boot fayre, I also would consider this unfair to the animals (any animal)
    I also understand that people in animal rescue go a bit loopy now & again I have first hand knowledge of that!
    Free speech is the essence of a multinational culture, some of them are still extremely bigoted, not only on the being nice to animals topic.
    My mother contacted me from england, she is 80 this year & her friends dolberman died she is 88 and I was looking for a replacement from a rescue site.
    She is Irish & has a holiday home in galway which she stays at in the summer.whilst she lives in england next door to my mother

But I cant now!!

Thats My point.
    Perhaps a new Irish animals without bitchy moderators????

How many of us had a good giggle over the birdie & the nest string??
    Regards

I can imagine just like in pet shops this rabbit was not vaccinated or health checked before it was sold to you, and probably very stressed at the time being moved to the boot fair etc.

My advice to anyone that sees animals for sale at open markets/boot fairs is to report it at the very least to your local spca.

And who would you trust in saying an animal was spayed or not?? I wouldn't trust anyone I didn't know with something like that.

The rabbit I got was fine - I don't condone the lad selling them in Fairyhouse like that but there was absolutely no sign of distress - any more than there is in a pet shop.

Anyone buying an animal should bring it to the vet on purchase (no matter where you get it from). If I bought a rabbit off you GuineaPigRescue - if you told me it was neutered and had all its shots etc - in one ear and out the other - straight to the vet with it and let the vet decide what the little mite needs.

I know certain organisations are more reputable than others and will actually give animals a health check - but whos to trust! Especially where cat spaying etc is the case. I'd rather go to the vet and say "Can you double check this has been done" than take any ones word for it.

Regardless, I saw the rabbit in the fare and thats the one I wanted. I didn't report it because there was no signs of distress and the animal had food/ water etc. So, none of the "Oh you shouldn't do this crap please"!! You cannot generalize things like that!!

boroughmal wrote:
    Perhaps a new Irish animals without bitchy moderators????

Regards

Again, it's called PetsIreland, not IrishAnimals & if you don't like the mods on a board then don't post on it. PetsIreland was set up with specific aims in mind & is run with those aims in mind.

Also, nothing is stopping you from getting a rescue dog. PetsIreland is not the be all and end all of Irish Rescues. Try the ISPCA, your local SPCA, local dog shelters, the pound, private ads - all of whom will decide based on the home offered & not the actions of a person on a board.

Your mothers friend might be better off contacting a UK rescue if that's where she lives. If nothing else, an Irish rescue would look for a homecheck to be done & your mothers friend could have that sorted locally before she starts to look for a dog from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"And who would you trust in saying an animal was spayed or not?? I wouldn't trust anyone I didn't know with something like that."

I didn't say spayed I said vaccinated and health checked.

The only way to tell if a rabbit has been spayed IS to take it to the vet.

While it is always a good idea to take new animals to a vet you know and trust after getting them, any rabbits that are rehomed from here are done so with vaccination cards against Myxomatosis and VHD, and if the new owners wishes to see the bill for the rabbits health check/spay/neuter we are more than happy to give it, also the number of our vet in fact I would have no problem going with the new owner to the vet that done the op so they can confirm. Rabbits are also wormed before leaving.

"If I bought a rabbit off you GuineaPigRescue"

Sorry but we do not sell animals, we do ask for a adoption fee towards the cost which is half of what it costs to treat each rabbit that comes in.
    This goes straight back into the rescue, an alternative we offer is for people to buy supplies for us and give that instead.

Vaccinations 10 euro each, spay or neuter 65 euro, health check and worming up to 25 euro. And anything else the animal requires health wise.
    All rabbits are quarantined until their vax are done and all are spayed/neutered etc before leaving here.

Each rabbit has at the very least 4 trips to the vets for all this.

Selling animals at fairs is illegal bottom line.
    Even if one seems 'genuine' enough it only encourages chancers out to make money.

are animal jokes allowed here, Ne saddo's in the audience.
    London joke
    One day God calls down to Noah and says, "Noah me old china, I want you to
    make me a new Ark"
    .Noah replies, "No probs God, me old Supreme Being. Anything you want after
    all you're the guv' But God interrupts, "Ah, but there's a catch. This time
    Noah, I don't want just a couple of decks, I want 20 decks one on top of the
    other".
    "20 DECKS!" screams Noah "Well, OK Big Man, whatever you say. Should I fill
    it up with all the animals just like last time?" "Yep, that's right, well.
    Sort of right. This time I want you to fill it up with fish", God answers.
    "Fish?" queries Noah.
    "Yep, fish. Well, to make it more specific Noah, I want carp - wall to wall,
    floor to ceiling - Carp!"
    Noah looks to the skies. "OK God my old mucker, let me get this right, you
    want a New Ark?""Check".
    "With 20 decks, one on top of the other?""Check".
    "And you want it full of Carp?""Check".
    "Why?" Asks the perplexed Noah, who was slowly but surely getting to the end
    of his tether.
    "Dunno", says God, "I just fancied a Multi-Storey Carp Ark".

I went to balbriggan to the market/boot fayre and I noticed that a pet shop was up there selling live fish albeit from a pissy little tank which could get hidden if there was a problem.
    I also previously watched in amazement when a girl from another pet shop in Fairyhouse was bunging budgies in boxes at the beginning of the day to ensure she was not caught by anyone selling them. She just had them in her van on a hot steaming day in little boxes about 4"high x 6" wide.It would have been better if they had been left in a cage, at least that would have seed & water in it.
    Now all you mods on Ia take notice.
    Its happening all around you and you still cannot see
    You all say its illegal, but they still do it, as was she this week as well.
    I unfortunately think you all are all words & no action.
    At least I take care of my fish & dont preach hypocracy to others.
    I transit my fish properly bagged and the fish owners are very glad to see them alive.
    I have only lost one lot of fish in transit, and you can blame Interlink for that, they murdered the box and split the bags, even though it was clearly marked live fish, handle with care in 3" lettering.Whats the point I said, now I leave it to Irish rail. They at least can read & take notice and not one problem

And what did you do when you saw the birds and fish being offered for sale?
    Did you report it?

I didnt think it was my job to do that, I am not a moderator on Ia and am not interfering with anyone else.My point is that I dont walk around with my head up my a--e.
    Its there for all the world to see. If your the one with principles You report them!!!!

PetsIreland is an online board - its not the ISPCA - the mods of an online board has no power in real life.

Report to the relevent authority if you see something illegal.

Would you post about someone drunk driving on a motoring board & expect the mods to take action or would you report it to the guards?

• Advertisement

Yes it has finally happened. Barred into the dog house,
    Its nice in the cooler.
    I was just wondering how many bigoted b's there are on that board,
    The Rat fights back!!!
    This means war.
    I am just wondering how to go about it if they wont let me post my views.
    Any suggestions????

Advertisement