Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby bird just fell out of nest...!!!!quick!!

Options
  • 11-07-2005 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

well..my mother just told me that a baby bird just fell out of his nest from our bungalow roof...she doesnt know what to do coz it just gonna die where it is so i said id ask ye..should she try and pick it up with something and put it back in what? is there something about birds smelling humans and then they dont bother with the eggs or baby chick in this case?help..time running out!thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I would have said put the bird carefully back in the nest. But I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Dont use you hands to pick it up, or so I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I've heard that if the mother smells humans off any of her birds she abandons them and leaves them there to die. I'm not sure it this is true.
    i heard that2.......
    Dont use you hands to pick it up, or so I would have thought.
    ya my mother wasnt going2...

so will we try and hope for the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Kevin youre threading a fine line here aswell.
    You were the first person on this thread to mention killing the bird.
    Consider this a warning.
    Richie

• Advertisement

dont say that!! maybe it fell out accidentally ..besides i couldnt kill it even if my life depended on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Dont hesitate, Your mother bird will think that the baby is dead so she will not feed it if it smells of another brood.But it will die if you dont put it back.
    So put it back & look in a day or so, Mum wont mind, If its not being fed then take it out & handrear it, its not that hard. You can let it out by the mother in a few days, she will recognise it then. They have instinct born in them.
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭lateasever

Did someone say "ban"???

Idiots banned for good!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

lateasever wrote:
    stamp on it repeatedly from all different angles, and watch all the red pink stuff squelch out of its face and stomach and stuff. try and keep it alive in pain for as long as you can, then rip a wing off. then a leg. the legs are always awkward cos you end up ripping off half its backside when it eventually comes out.

have fun :)

do i smell ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Check out the DSPCC or ispca website. Basic advice is to get it as near to nest as possible without disturbing others. At least get it up to a height where it's safe from predators. If it hasnt been recovered by mother with a day or 2 then it's in trouble....... ring either of the above, they are more than helpfull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pinx

We had a baby bird fall out of it's nest a few weeks ago. It was almost ready to fly - I think it was trying and failed, as it was a few meters away from the nest. We sent my poor auld Dad up the ladder and he put the bird back into the nest. We kept watch and the Mother bird flew in again no problem after a while.... I'd like to think that she fed the poor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

lateasever wrote:
    stamp on it repeatedly from all different angles, and watch all the red pink stuff squelch out of its face and stomach and stuff. try and keep it alive in pain for as long as you can, then rip a wing off. then a leg. the legs are always awkward cos you end up ripping off half its backside when it eventually comes out.

have fun :)

MOD ! come on where are you ?

just ignore it, it's to be expected.

i think the bottom line is, with clean rubber gloves or a shovel (actually get your da to do this) try and place the bird, assuming it's not injured back in the nest or onto some alcove to stop cats. nature shall decide it's fate. i'd suggest you lose the whole "i'll hand rear it myself mentality".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Hand rearing should only be a VERY last resort. Put it back in the nest asap and just monitor it for a while.

ya after my last post my dad came home and he put it back up on the shoot thing right above where he fell coz he couldnt see the nest...hopefully the mother will see it there and all will be gravey..bird was almost ready to fly2so maybe that why it fell out...we'll keep an eye on it.

thanks for all ur posts..(excluding lateasever!) much appreciated!

and all will be gravey

?

lol..sry its a saying..in other words:all will be good/well.

ah yeah it will be gravey i'm sure.

Advertisement