Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deutschland am Samstag

Options
  • 11-07-2005 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

Hallo,
    Ich werde nach Klings (in der nahe von Frankfurt am Main) in Suddeutschland am Samstag fliegen. Haben Sie nutzliches Worter fur mich. Ich freuhe mich fur Samstag und ich will um viel Deutsch zu lernen da auch.
    Viel Dank :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Have you ever heard of German for runaways?
    It is a running joke in German, Deutsch fur Fortgeshrittene (Advanced German, also literally tranlated becomes German for runaways).

I take it you are just starting out with the language, I hope you get on well with your studies.
    The main thing with any foreign language is not to be afraid to make mistakes, and to be honest I can see that you dont have a problem with that.
    In any case sincere good wishes learning the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I have done it for 3 years in school tho lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 neadla

german ain't too bad jackass, you'll come home fluent one day... :D

I really like it there i just came back from Frankfurt on Saturday. I want to go on and do it in university :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Jakkass wrote:
    Hallo,
    Ich werde nach Klings (in der nahe von Frankfurt am Main) in Suddeutschland am Samstag fliegen. Haben Sie nutzliches Worter fur mich. Ich freuhe mich fur Samstag und ich will um viel Deutsch zu lernen da auch.
    Viel Dank :)

This is how your message SHOULD have read: :)

Ich werde am Samstag nach Klings in der Nähe von Frankfurt-am-Main) in Süddeutschland fliegen. Können Sie mir ein paar nutzliche Wörter geben? Ich freue mich auf Samstag und ich hoffe in Deutschland viel Deutsch zu lernen.

Vielen Dank.

Ist besser oder? ;) Was hast du denn in Deustchland gelernt?

Wenn du Lust hast, Deutsch später an der Uni zu studieren, dann muss man das Schreiben viel verbessern. Was besonders wichtig ist, ist das man kaum grammatikalische Fehler macht. Da verliert man Punkte! Ich empfehle dir viel zu lesen und viel zu schreiben. So kann man viele Fortschritte machen, glaube mir! Lesen und Schreiben sind wichtiger als das Sprechen, zumindest nach meiner Erfahrung!

Viel Glück und viel Spass noch!!! :)

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote:
    I really like it there i just came back from Frankfurt on Saturday. I want to go on and do it in university :)

Jackass,

You might be interested in the summer courses offered by the DAAD, German Academic Exchange service. You could apply for a scholarship in your first or second year of university. Make sure you make those A-grades though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

esperanza wrote:
    This is how your message SHOULD have read: :)

Wenn schon eine Korrektur, dann richtig ;-)

Ich werde am Samstag nach Klings (in der Nähe von Frankfurt-am-Main) in Süddeutschland fliegen. Können Sie mir ein paar nützliche Wörter geben? Ich freue mich auf Samstag und ich hoffe, in Deutschland viel Deutsch lernen zu können (or: ich hoffe, dass ich in Deutschland viel Deutsch lernen werde)

Oops, thanks for that. My apologies! Was writing a little too quickly, I think!

esperanza wrote:
    Oops, thanks for that. My apologies! Was writing a little too quickly, I think!

You have very good German though, where are you from?

(btw. I still make mistakes in German too - especially with noun gender, so I'm not perfect either ;) )

I'm Irish, but have been learning German for years!

• Advertisement

esperanza wrote:

Ist besser oder? ;) Was hast du denn in Deustchland gelernt?
    Ich habe viel uber Deutsch in Frankfurt gelernt! :p

je. :: Fur jeden, das bedeudet "every" auf Englisch
    zur :: Das bedeudet "only" auf Englisch, es ist in der Kaufhof geschreibt naturlich.
    vorbei :: Das ist sehr nutzlich fur in der Stadt.
    "Gibt es ein Konditorei vorbei" - "Is there a bakery nearby

:) Ich habe viel uber Frankfurt auch gelernen. Fur Geschichte du konnt nach der Romer gehen und der Dom ist vorbei. Ich habe mit der S-Bahn fahren und mit dem U-Bahn auch fahren, sie macht die fahren in der Stadt ganz einfach. Die Hauptwasche ist ganz schon fur Einkaufen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

Hey All,

Interesting thread. I just came back form 3 months working in Munich. I organised it myself out of college and ended up getting my own place in a suburb north of Munich called Freising. There was four of us altogether but we had some guests over as well.

In truth I could write all day about how great it was, all the places I visted etc but basically it was the best 3 months of my life. Now I'm back in 'great' old Ireland and lovin every minute of it. I miss the summer horrobly :( The sooner the better I get back to studying German in college. One thing I'm very much looking forward to is my year abroad (I'm going into 2nd year in September - so next year 2006 - 7) The main worry is the financial cost but I'd say if I get a job and save hard during second year I should have the cash to go over for an academic year. That's the plan anyway.

I went over thinking my German would hopefully improve (a level of fluency even) But I wouldnt say I came back fluent. I like to think that subconsiously my spoken & written German improved loads especially my grammar but I think I'll only really find out when I go back to college and start doing german grammar / lectures again. That's what I'm hoping anyway. I watched so much TV / spoke so much German etc so I definitely improved but I'll wait untill college begins.

It's a shame there isnt more of a German scene in Ireland. I've started watching channel DW - TV on sky (channel 821) so it kind of numbs the pain of being back in Irland.

Anybody know any german things going on? Ways to meet up? The german film festival is on Dec 6th to Dec 15th in the international film place in Temple Bar. There's a great movie I never got to see in Germany called Napola. Anyone know hwere I could get it in Dublin?

Ciao

Gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Smithereens

@Von Manstein

Sorry if I'm putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but I'd get a bit worried about you loving of Germany in connection with your picture of the Wehrmacht in your signature...

@Von Manstein

Sorry if I'm putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but I'd get a bit worried about you loving of Germany in connection with your picture of the Wehrmacht in your signature...

Yeah, was thinking the same thing!

By the way, Munich is a great city, but also one of the most expensive in Germany unfortunately! Then again, it's still cheaper than Dublin, I guess!

DW-TV is a great channel tbh
    I cant wait back to doing german in skool tomorrow, i really love the language and the country itself its great :D

esperanza wrote:
    Then again, it's still cheaper than Dublin, I guess!

Which wouldn't really be hard, would it? :D

I've never actually been to Munich, it's something I keep meaning to do but never get round to it.
    @Von Manstein

Not only the Photo of the Wehrmacht would give me something to think about, the Film Von Manstein wans to see ist called in full:

Napola - Elite für den Führer

And Erich Von Manstein played an important part in the war and the killing of the Jews.

That all togehter does cause one to wonder...

@Von Manstein

Lol. Pretty convinient tbh. I like history and love German so the two kind of came naturally. Fasinating period but that's for another forum ;)

And Erich Von Manstein played an important part in the war and the killing of the Jews.

That all togehter does cause one to wonder...

I'd like to see where you got those facts from.... but In truth I really don't want to be dragged into a conversation on this. Please dont assume....

http://pedg.org/panzer/public/website/gen8.htm

Regards

Please dont assume....

Well I'm not assuming, I was just wondering (there is a difference) but I think you can probably see where all this wondering is coming from.

As for finding that part of history interesting, I agree with you totally, I have lots books on Hilter, have visited various concentration camps, seen so many films on that topic etc.., for my birthday a few years ago my German husband (who happened to have a shaved head at that stage) bought me book on Hitler, off he went into the shop in Ireland, shaved head and German accent and bought a Hitler book, he got some strange looks (so you see, putting 2 +2 together and getting 5)

I'd like to see where you got those facts from.
    It's something I learned whilst living in GErmany, but you can read about here:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERmanstein.htm

However, evidence was produced that Manstein had ordered that "the Jewish Bolshevik system be wiped out once and for all"

please dont flame this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Sin scéal eile and Von Manstein, please take this discussion elsewhere.

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a discussion, I realise this is what you would call in German "ein sehr heikeles Thema"

As I wrote I fully agree with Von Manstein that that period in history is a very fascinating (however trerrble) and it's a relief to know that his choice of name and signature has nothing to do with his political opinion.

But as I said I didn't mean to start off such a discussion and was making no assumptions (even if it may have seemed like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mogwa

Hallo Damen und Heren!!
    Ich bin neu hier.Ich liebe Deutsch es ist toll!Ich hoffe vor,nachstes jahr Deutsch auf der Uni zu studieren.Ich muss im Sommer nach Deutschland zu fahren.

OK in English.I dont know how to put an umblaut on letters.Can someone help?And is anyone doing a B.A in german?I want to go to UCC to study arts and eventually become a german teach.Im in 6th yr btw

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

There's another way to do it I think but this is how I was taught in college:

press the "alt" key plus type the number using the number pad at the side of the keyboard, won't work using the numbers on the top above the letters.

ü = alt+129
    ä = alt+132
    ö = alt+148
    Ü = alt+154
    Ä = alt+142
    Ö = alt+153
    ß = alt+225

To put a fada on letters you press CTRL, ALT + a,e,i,o or u. I think there is a similar kind of combination to get umlauts but don't know it, maybe someone else might.

If you aren't able to use these special characters it's generally acceptable to type the letter followed by e (ue for ü, ae for ä etc.) - particularly in email addresses as the special characters aren't recognised so if people with a name which has an umlaut want to use that for their address they have to use it e.g. TomasSchüster would need to be TomasSchuester@..... There may be new rules governing the use of umlauts in the new Rechtschreibung - although it's not that new anymore - but that was before my time. Vaguely remember hearing that they were doing away with ß in certain circumstances.

I didn't do a BA in German but did the diploma in languages and business in DIT - was exactly what I wanted then, learned how to speak it in a very practical way and did mostly business German which came in very useful in my first few jobs. Now that I'm a bit older (and since I can speak German) I'd love to go back and do a BA in it. One of these days when I'm rich I'll quit work for a few years and do it full-time (would never have the discipline to do it in the evenings!).

Advertisement