Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back In Time

Options
  • 10-07-2005 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Has anyone ever thought of going back in time (assuming that you had a DeLorean) and recording someone's songs from later in history, like, say, Dylan, then trying to get signed and get them out? Would Dylan's songs, I mean, be any good if they weren't written by Dylan, but by a completely different person with a different look, personality and general public image? Kind of like would DeNiro be any good if he had the same talent but looked like Pat Kenny...

Because I have. I have...too much time. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Estragon wrote:
    Has anyone ever thought of going back in time (assuming that you had a DeLorean) and recording someone's songs from later in history, like, say, Dylan, then trying to get signed and get them out? Would Dylan's songs, I mean, be any good if they weren't written by Dylan, but by a completely different person with a different look, personality and general public image?
    You mean, for example, by someone who could sing?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Yes, exactly. Like Jason Donovan, or Joe Dolan, or Ewan McGregor. Someone the public would have a completely different perception of. Remember this would be Dolan singing HIS songs (though not really) not a cheesy cover for the Xmas charts.

Also, on a plus side, Dolan would be dead by now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

I think Dylans songs sung by someone else wouldn't have the same stamp as he had on them, he could bring the songs to life just by phasing certain words. If someone else was to sing them, they would probably slow them down into a cheesy pop song. But the fact that we're going back in time here opens up loads of questions, something like would they still use the same music to Dylan's songs or create something new!.!Would they play the harmonica to them, and would Dylan kick the **** out of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Jimi Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watch Tower" was sensational. It was so good that Bob Dylan started covering it :cool:

I heard "Just Like A Woman" while standing in line at the bank today and it nearly drove me insane. Listening to his voice oscillate up and down without actually landing on a note. That said, his songs are quite good, but he isn't the best front man to have in a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think Dylan has a great voice and is an amazing vocalist
    singing is overated I much prefer good vocalists

as for the time thing I have often thought of going back and experencing the best period in musical history 77-82

• Advertisement
Advertisement