Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If it has a roof it is a taxi

Options
  • 10-07-2005 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I'm on the roads of dublin alot and have noticed some strange cars as taxis

these incude

a volvo xc90 in clare hall sc

hyundai santa fe in marino

nissan navara (twin cab jobs) in donaghmede

a 2003 mercedes s320 on the quays

a volkswagen golf in fairview

u seen any other strange taxis??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Judging by the low numbers of new wheelchair accessable taxi's since deregulation you'd be forgiven for thinking that they were more unsuitable for taxi work then the stuff you usually see. - Don't forget that for someone who can afford an s320 a plate that allows them to drive in the bus lanes down the Quays during rush hour is about the cheapest way of increasing performance.

Compare this
    http://www.taxi.ie/security.shtml
    Minister Bobby Molloy has stated that he wants all taxis wheelchair-accessible in the future and that the process will begin before the end of 2003.
    To
    http://www.ncbi.ie/information/NCBI_policy_documents/accessible_taxi_service.php
    By March 2003, the total had increased to 1,188 but the proportion of wheelchair accessible taxi licences had fallen to 10.2%.
    In summary, for every 200 licences issued since deregulation, only 9 have been for wheelchair accessible vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

also the taxi drivers that have flash cars eg lexus,s class etc they all mostly do private work not just driving the taxi.so thats where they make the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I saw a BMW 7 series taxi once. An old one mind, E39.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

qz wrote:
    I saw a BMW 7 series taxi once. An old one mind, E39.
    The E39 was the 5 series made from 95 to 03. You are probably thinking of either the E32 or E38.

Anyhow there seems to be an increase in the number of BMW taxis around Dublin. I remember a taxi driver telling me that it was possiby down to the lack of automatics around the 2L mark. I doubt its true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A guy living around the corner from me is running a 01 BMW 530d as a hackney.

I have also seen a Mits L200 with a taxi plate. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote:
    I have also seen a Mits L200 with a taxi plate. :eek:

No messing about with luggage in that. Might get wet/stolen though if he doesnt have a cover :)

saw a brand new 05 pajero today with plates, and working, picked up a guy in front of me. looked odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    No messing about with luggage in that. Might get wet/stolen though if he doesnt have a cover :)

Yeah he did have one of those covers and it was a double crew cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Just seen a gold mercedes ml 270 Jeep in cabra today.

It suitable for the roads as its a crap Jeep

Advertisement