Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water watches

Options
  • 09-07-2005 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

I have some vague recollection these being popular when I was in primary school in the late 80's. Does anybody remember them? They were wristwatches you poured water into and they would run sort of unreliably for a few hours. And you'd spend the day checking the time with other people to try and keep it in sync.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Aye, I had one of these - it was some kind of Smithwicks promotional watch.
    It was very reliable and ran for days on one refill of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Smithwicks? ... did you try putting beer in it? ;)

Yeah the 80's were a great time for fad watches... the water watch, the radio watch, the calculator watch, and *gasp* the waterproof watch!
    I remember looking in a shop window at a water watch, in a little plastic tank of water, with bubbles going up through it... peolpe looking at it going "no way, that's gotta be fake" ... ah the late 80's what a magical time!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Smithwicks? ... did you try putting beer in it? ;)

!

They used to flog the water watches in the pound shop and twas actually on the packagew that they would work with beer

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Or those watches you'd snap onto your wrist. Dunno what they were called. Think they stopped making them coz they were harming some kids wrists. I dunno, my cousin had one and I sooo wanted one!! That and those Clarkes magic key shoes! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

didn't those snap watches come out of cereal boxes or something?

• Advertisement

didn't those snap watches come out of cereal boxes or something?

Don't think so..well not when I wanted them...so badly! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i thought you were talking about water proof watches and didn't bother reading any of the posts. How wrong i was! watches fueled on water. How incredible. i want one. right now.

i thought you were talking about water proof watches and didn't bother reading any of the posts. How wrong i was! watches fueled on water. How incredible. i want one. right now.

Yeah, I have never heard of these either (prob too busy looking for a snap watch!!) but they sound cool!! I want one, NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I remember I had two of them I bought in the local pound shop. It was semi transparent and the sponges used to soak up the water where yellow and there were 3 or 4 spongses. It was also unusual cause it was angled, the top part was the time and the bottom part (below the angle) had the yellow sponges.
    They were kinda crap but cool. I want one now.

Advertisement