Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beautiful city

Options
  • 09-07-2005 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I was down in Waterford city this week for the Tall Ships. I've been there before but so long ago that I had no memory of the place.

Sorry for not realising this before but, hey, what a beautiful city! Lovely setting with the river (a substantial river, not like the Liffey) and hills, atmospheric winding streets with well-preserved architecture, top-notch restaurants, fascinating history (I'm really taken with the shipbuilding story - that should be in our history books)...

I can't imagine a better host for the tall ships, all comfortably accommodated along the quays, right in the city centre.

Top marks to Waterford City Council, Waterford Civic Trust and others who did such a great job for the festival.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

davros wrote:
    I was down in Waterford city this week for the Tall Ships. I've been there before but so long ago that I had no memory of the place.

Sorry for not realising this before but, hey, what a beautiful city! Lovely setting with the river (a substantial river, not like the Liffey) and hills, atmospheric winding streets with well-preserved architecture, top-notch restaurants, fascinating history (I'm really taken with the shipbuilding story - that should be in our history books)...

I can't imagine a better host for the tall ships, all comfortably accommodated along the quays, right in the city centre.

Top marks to Waterford City Council, Waterford Civic Trust and others who did such a great job for the festival.

Thank you. We're extremely proud of it (anway!) - but especially this week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thank you for your words Davros... nice to hear such words from a Skeptic :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

nice to hear such words from a Skeptic :D .
    Can't argue with the evidence :)

Just read your last blog entry... is it true Waterford is going for the Tall Ships again in 2012? That's good news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Aye they reckon that theres a good chance that we'll get it again in 7 years time because Waterford was such an excellent venue in the minds of the crew who said that everything they needed was within easy reach!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Ah that's nice. Didn't make it home for the weekend but by all accounts it was a great few days. Delighted everything went so well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cheers, we all agree. ;)

Nicky Fewer, who was the organiser of the Tall Ships, amongst other things, said that in the wrap-up meeting that they had at the end with the Tall Ships people, that as far as they were concerned, it was a matter of when, not if, the Tall Ships come back to Waterford.

Apparently, in no other port was it possible to bring the ships right into the city. Waterford of course had about 2 kilometers of quay in working order that the ships were docked against, and which the throngs of people could file along. I doubt even Dublin would have been able to provide that, and certainly not close to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

yea I went down to Waterford a few months ago. Amazed how nice the place was. I think I was dunmare east? near a harbour anyway, v nice looking scenery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The oragnsisers are talking about linking up with Derry which has ambitions for regular Tall Ship visits so ships would be more likely to visit if they have two destinations within easy reach of each other.

Aparently nearly 500,000 ppl visited over the festival.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mike65 wrote:
    The oragnsisers are talking about linking up with Derry which has ambitions for regular Tall Ship visits so ships would be more likely to visit if they have two destinations within easy reach of each other.

Aparently nearly 500,000 ppl visited over the festival.

Mike.

Interesting. Of course getting the race to start at your port is what you really want so you get the big festival leading up to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Thanks davros,

There's been more culture in waterford over the past few weeks than there has been in Cork over the past year. Cant wait for Spraoi....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I agree, my cousins live down there and only moved there a few years ago and really love it there !
    they were absaluotley blown away by the tall ships events..
    I think Waterford has a more finer mideval city than that of { {sorry cork}
    Waterford does'nt need to have a big plaque like cork to tell everyone in Ireland how great the capital of culture is :D
    i have'nt been in Waterford in the last few months but would rather go there than see the capital of culture , its to much bloody hype in cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Yeh the tall ships was great!Loved the funfair :D And the guards were grand too.What was it somthing like The Tall Ships brang in 30mil to Waterford..............Anyway it was a good few days i really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I work in the waterford city council and there has been alot of e-mails coming to WCC since the tall ships. Saying what a good job waterford did with the event.

Advertisement